Chapter 33: The Nightmare

[Warning! Do not read this chapter while eating!]

The scene showed a normal day in Ludwig's house. Kiku was over, training alongside Feli, and Feli was off running away from training. The nations didn't really see what was so important about this memory, but they also didn't feel the need to question it, either. All things considered, it was a welcome break from the heavier memories we'd been subjected to thus far.

Things slowed down a bit when Feliciano climbed into bed. "Germany's so cranky today, so I suppose I'll sleep in my own bed tonight." He seemed saddened by that thought, and perhaps even a little scared.

"You don't like sleeping alone, do you?" Canada asked. He was the same way; it was why he loved having Kumajiro around so much. He hugged the bear a little tighter to his person, and Kumajiro licked Canada's chin, causing him to laugh lightly.

"No. I get nightmares when I..." I trailed off, feeling myself pale rapidly. I glanced at the calendar, hoping I was wrong.

"Oi! Veneziano?! What's the matter?" Romano asked suddenly, seeing how pale I'd become. I shook a bit.

"I... I don't want to see this again." I closed my eyes, backing up into someone in my haste to distance myself from the memory.

"You are looking pale." Russia said, reaching out to steady me. "What is being the matter?"

"I..." I glanced helplessly around me. Even Luciano had no idea what was going on.

While I had drawn the others' attention, the scene had melted away to show the beach again.

"What's this? I thought we'd left that beach?" Germany's brows furrowed.

"It must be a dream." Hungary concluded.

"No... please... PLEASE!" The memory suddenly paused, and started glitching out. Like a bid signal on a TV, or an old VHS tape when you paused it, how the static starts rolling down your screen.

"What the?!" Austria looked around, alarmed.

"Italy! Whatever it is, you cannot stop this memory! You must let it continue! If you want a break, tell me!" England yelled, before muttering something under his breath.

Suddenly, the memory picked back up, the waves gently lapped against the beach. "What's wrong?" Romano looked half terrified half worried.

"I... I don't want to..."

"It must be bad if you're reacting like this after That place." Luciano came over to me.

"After what place?" France questioned, but Luciano waved him off.

"Vene... Listen to me." Luciano spoke in a gentle tone, as he bent down to my level. When did I curl up on the ground? "I know whatever you saw here was terrible, but you've got me, and Lavi and Vino, okay? You aren't alone. And whatever it is that's scared you, we'll protect you from it." He gave me a soft, comforting smile.

"P-promise?" I hated how weak and vulnerable my voice sounded. It shook as my vision blurred with unshed tears. I didn't want to see this horrible nightmare again. I'd only ever had it this once, but it haunted me for months thereafter.

"I promise." He gently helped me to my feet. I chanced a glance at Japan and Germany, who looked equally concerned and disturbed at how I'd reacted.

"G-Germany? Japan?" I spoke up in a tiny voice. I swallowed and took a deep breath to calm myself. I was glad to hear myself speak in a steadier voice. "Do you remember when I... stopped speaking?"