Chapter 19: Grandpa Rome

"Here we are again." England sighed, looking around the room. Everyone was gathered together, prepared for the next memory.

"Hold on a second." I said, drawing the room's attention. "We've pretty much finished our first childhood, now."

"Oh, thank Gott!" Prussia exclaimed, throwing his hands up in relief. "That took forever!!"

"How the fuck do you think we feel?!" Romano twitched. "And I can hear you whispering over there, France." He turned to face a flushing blonde.

"Well, it's true! You were adorable!" He paused for a moment. "Ah~ You can hear again!" He grinned.

"Yeah, I've blinked back in, so what? It's not like it's the first time I've blinked out around you guys. It's just the first time you were aware of it."

"Wait, so you've gone deaf around us before?!" China asked, shocked.

"Si, we have. We're just really good at hiding it." I smirked. "After all, you wouldn't notice when I blink out because my eyes don't go all milky anymore. I just tend to space out a little more often because I'm listening to my surroundings. It's also usually at those times when I'll make more noise, not that I usually like the quiet anyways."

"So... all those times you were humming while cooking or something...?" Germany shuffled a little.

"No, I wasn't blind every time. But sometimes, yes, I was."

"Why didn't you tell anybody? Either of you?" Spain asked, hurt.

"Why should we?" Romano crossed his arms. "So someone could make fun of us, or use it against us, or God forbid, baby us?! Hell no! We're capable of taking care of our own damned selves, thank you very much."

"And be honest." I continued. "You would've babied us, wouldn't you? I know you wouldn't have let me cook while blind, Germany." I shot him a knowing look, and he flushed lightly.

"You could've gotten hurt..."

"And in all honesty..." I trailed off, letting Romano continue.

"We would've gotten sick and tired of your worrying and pity." He glared. "We're strong, capable nations, regardless of what you think. If you knew we had 'disabilities'" he used air quotes, "you would've looked down on us even further! You already look at us like weak little annoying shitheads who can't do anything of value. Have you ever thought that maybe we just don't use our strength? That perhaps, we are strong, but just don't want to become like our Grandfather?"

"W-what?" England stuttered, confused.

"He grew too big to manage." I said, looking down at the ground in sadness. "He tore himself to pieces inside. He really just wanted everyone to be happy and safe and no more war, but... He didn't go about it the right way. We don't want that. War... it only brings pain and loss and suffering. I don't want any more war... That's why... I'd rather surrender than fight."

The room became unbearably silent, and the lack of ambient noise made me feel anxious. I subconsciously shuffled my feet in an attempt to ease the painfully empty sound space around us.

"Well..." Hungary finally broke the silence. "You said we were about finished with your first childhood?"

"Yeah." Romano answered. I relaxed a bit as their voices filled the silence. "We'll probably be connecting with our nations here, shortly. Which means that Nonno will be showing up anytime, now."