Chapter 22: Another New Arrival

The next morning, everybody came down in their own time. I couldn't help but linger, even as the smell of Hungary's food lured me towards the kitchen. I was stopped by Prussia in the hallway, where he pulled me aside into a bedroom to speak.

"How're you holding up, Ita?" He asked, giving me a concerned look.

"I'm okay... Just... we both know what's coming next. How do you think you'll hold up? I mean... he was your baby brother." Prussia deflated slightly at my words.

"Don't you worry about me, Ita... I'll be fine... It's you I'm worried about. And so is Hungary... and your brother."

"I get it." I snapped. "I'm sorry." I apologized immediately. I felt guilty for snapping at Prussia. He was only concerned.

"I understand. You're stressed. I'd be worried if you weren't." He chuckled. "After all that you've been through... you and your brother both these past few days... Gott, has it only been days? It feels like years."

"Well, it has been years. Just sped up." I shrugged. Though I understood what he meant. "How do you think Germany will take everything? I mean, he doesn't remember, does he?"

"Nein. He still has no memories of his childhood. And I haven't had the heart to tell him." Prussia sighed again, sinking down into a nearby chair. He looked tired, and gaunt. "I'm scared, Ita... I don't know if I can... handle seeing everything again. Especially when he..." He winced, a couple of tears pricking his eyes.

"I know. I'm not sure how I'll handle everything again either. Especially since we're watching with... Him." I growled lightly, thinking of France. Even after all this time... even after That Place... Part of me still had yet to forgive him for what he did.

"Ja... I tried to ask him about it once or twice, but he always played dumb... he never owned up to what he did, and that pisses me off. I mean, he's still mein friend, but... I'm not sure how much I can trust the man who can't even apologize for murdering my brother."

A sudden knock at the door stopped our rather depressing conversation, as Hungary poked her head in. "Sorry to interrupt, but if you don't come down soon, all the food will be gone. So if you want breakfast—and Canada made some pancakes, too—then you'd better come down soon." She warned, a small smirk on her face.

Prussia and I shared a look before bolting out the door towards the kitchen. "Birdie!! Save me some Awesome Pancakes!!" Prussia yelled.

"Vino~! Save me some of Hungary's cooking!!" I cried out at the same time, as we both comically caught on the doorframe to the kitchen, resulting in a rather spectacular fall.

"Wow, that's quite an entrance." America laughed. "You guys okay?"

"Si... Or I would be if Mr. Awesome, here would kindly get his foot out of my spleen."

"Sorry, Ita..."

Luckily, there was still plenty of food left, and not really anything to worry about.

A sudden flash from the living room drew everyone's attention. "Oh, no... Not again!" South Korea huffed, as he left the room, followed by the rest of us.

Austria stood there, looking more than a little confused. "Italy!" He cried in relief when he saw me. "H-Hungary, too?! Would someone mind telling me what is going on, here?"

"Another?!" Germany sighed. "Sit down, this'll take a bit."

Almost an hour later—due to constant interruptions—Austria was properly briefed on what was going on, and what's been occurring.