Chapter 23

His eyes widened at my question and I continued to look at him. "No. We didn't. We almost did though, but I'm guessing you know that?"

"Uh yeah, I just remembered it."

"Oh."

His lips barely brushed mine before something clicked in him and he stepped back. My face dropped and I let out a breath I didn't realize I was holding.

"Anyway, off to find Libby then?" He asked me trying to ignore the fact that we had almost kissed. Why hadn't he just kissed me? Or on second thoughts why did I want him to kiss me?

"Yeah I guess," I said before he grabbed my hand and walked off in the direction I'm guessing Libby was in.

Great, so now I remember the rest of what happened, after he tells me! He let me go and I sat up from the lying down position he had thrown me into. He sat next to me and for the first time an awkward silence fell upon us.

"Can I ask, what made you think of that now?" He asked me from next to me and I looked over at him.

"I think it was just how close we were, it must've triggered the memory of being that close to you last night."

"Right. Well I'm sorry that that happened last night. I don't know what state of mind I was in, and I'd been drinking. Plus at that point you were high and I decided in my own drunken state that kissing you would only lead to weird things later and I knew you weren't thinking straight due to the drugs."

"Ryder, you're rambling." I said cutting him off, a small smile playing at my lips.

"Sorry." He said embarrassed before looking away. "Oh look here comes Andy." I didn't mind the not so subtle subject change. But would kissing me really have been that bad? I mean not that I wanted Ryder and my friendship to be ruined or jeopardized in any way but still, was I un-kissable? But if I was high at the time I kind of get why he backed off. I can't believe I'd gotten high, that's actually crazy; and by complete accident too. I probably wasn't thinking straight, like Ryder had said, anyway. Say we had kissed, it would've been awkward so it's probably a good thing we didn't.

Having a water balloon thrown to the side of my head, quickly interrupted my thoughts. I looked up at the culprit and Andy smirked at me.

"You're lucky I could still get her, Ry! I thought the plan was to hold her down?" Andy asked Ryder and I looked between the two waiting for Ryder to reply.

"I was holding her down, then she distracted me and squirmed her way out. It's not my fault." He said quickly looking towards me and I looked away from him instantly. It's weird to think we had almost kissed. He was Ryder Steele the bad boy at school and I was me. People like Ryder and I normally don't talk let alone come close to kissing.

I was pulled away from my thoughts by feeling another water balloon hit my arm. I looked up to find the culprit and saw it was Ryder this time. "I thought you needed something to cool off." He said trying to lighten the mood and I glared at him. He smirked and a small smile played at my lips. I think this whole incident should just be put behind us, Ryder and I were friends and we had almost kissed due to being drunk not because we really wanted to kiss each other, right? I got up from my seat on the floor and looked directly into Ryder's eyes.

"You're going down, Steele." I said before he ran away and I picked up a few water balloons chasing after him.

...

Ryder, Andy and I were all sitting down in the sun drying off from our water fight. We had a small speaker between us, which was playing decent music as we all dried off. We had spent a good twenty minutes having a water balloon fight, and it probably would've gone on longer but we quickly ran out of balloons which is a bummer. It was fun to just let loose and act like a child again, I saw a different side of Ryder that I haven't seen before. He was always very playful around his brother, but the last twenty minutes had been spent with Ryder and I acting that way towards each other and not really caring about anything else but the water fight. Not once did our almost kiss cross my mind, which was good because I wanted to bury it down into the depths of my memory which I do not tap into due to unpleasant experiences.