Chapter 1

I glanced towards the clock, ten minutes. Ten excruciating minutes until I could leave school, and go home with my best friend and spend the night watching movies and eating tonnes of snacks. That was not out of the ordinary for Libby and I; we weren't the type of girls that go out on a Friday night to parties or the club with our fake ID's. Nope, we would much rather prefer to sit at home and watch chick flicks. There was really no shame.

I looked at the clock again, nine minutes. This was going to be the longest nine minutes of my life. Suddenly I felt a note slide towards me on the table.

So what movie are we watching tonight? It read, in Libby's smooth handwriting. I looked towards her; she was looking straight ahead and turned her head towards me, as I looked at her. We'd known each other since primary school, best friends since I moved here from the next town over. She was always at my house because mine was bigger than hers and her parents were always fighting, she used it as an excuse to get away from all the family drama going on. But we still went to hers every now and again. I watched as a strand of her short red hair fell into her eyes, she pushed it away and I shrugged responding to her note. Her blue eyes looked back to the board as she leaned her head on her hand with a sigh waiting for the lesson to end. I giggled at her response and mimicked her actions.

Seven minutes. This lesson just didn't want to end did it?

"Jade, would you like to answer my question?" I looked up to Mr. Crox our English teacher. He was an old balding man with a rather large belly.

"Sorry sir, could you please repeat the question?" I asked back. Really, why me out of all people? I was not the best at English. I may be a straight A student but English was my only subject where I got a B. It ticked me off to no end. Give me a math's equation 20 figures long, and I could work it out, but tell me to analyze a poem and I was beat. I guess a B wasn't that bad compared to an F but when your acing your other subjects it sucks.

"How in the play did Macbeth show ambition?" He asked again.

"Um, he. He -" I stumbled on my words trying to think of an answer. "He showed ambition by not stopping at anything to be king." I finally finished, quite proud that I had come up with that.

"Good enough. Pay attention Miss Pesado." I nodded in agreement. There was now four minutes until the final bell; I was going to pay the same amount of attention as hairs on his head. So not much. But yes, my last name is Pesado. Yes, it's a weird and unusual name. Yes, it means heavy in Portuguese even though I am so petite; I'm a measly 5'1 and weigh around 50 kilo's so I'm a very little person. The irony.

Three minutes, hurry up you stupid bell. I sighed again, pissed off that the bell wouldn't ring and relieve me of this horrendous lesson. Libby turned toward me and raised an eyebrow. I could practically hear her asking, what are you sighing at?

"I just want this lesson to end." I whispered and she nodded in agreement. Seriously why is this taking so long? As you can probably tell I'm not a very patient person.

The relief rushed through me as the final bell of the day finally rang.

"Well it took long enough." Libby muttered as everyone stood up and started gathering their belongings. I chuckled at her words and we quickly walked out of the room. Thankfully Mr. Crox didn't give us homework, so I was pretty much free of schoolwork for the weekend, yes!
"So what are we doing tonight?" Libby asked as we walked towards our lockers. They were next to each other, by pure chance. A decision made by the school and we were not complaining.

"I was thinking about going to Craig's party, we could get all dressed up at my place then go. We can drink some cheap beer while drunk guys rub up against us. Doesn't it sound like fun?" I asked sarcastically and she laughed nudging my shoulder. That never had been and never would be our scene, we were not party goers nor were we party throwers; and we were perfectly ok with that.