Chapter 32

We set up the teams and made our way over to our designated sides of the net. On one team were Kyle, Zoe, Libby, Ryder, Mike, George, Connor and I; and on the other team were Hunter, Leo, John, Pete, Olivia, Brett, Alex and Katy. We had an even number of boys and girls on each team so the game should be rather fair. Kyle and Hunter tossed a coin to see which team would serve first and our team won the coin toss. Kyle stood on the second row of our team and served the ball over the net. It was hit back by Leo, who hit it straight to Libby who missed and allowed it to hit the floor, securing a point for the other team.

"Libby!" I shouted and she immediately apologised, I saw Ryder laugh at my outburst and Connor placed his arm on Libby's in a comforting way. Hunter was tossed the ball and her served it from his side of the net, it flew towards me and I did my best to hit it and thankfully it made it over the net. Once over the net, Katy wasn't quick enough to react to the ball and it landed on the sand.

"Good one Jade," Kyle said from behind me and I turned my head to look at him.

"Thanks," I replied with a smile and he winked. I felt my cheeks flush red so I quickly turned back around.

We continued playing for the next hour or so, our teams getting progressively better as the game went on. The final score, before we decided to end the game was thirty-nine to thirty-five. The other team won and I blame that on the fact that they had more of Kyle's friends in the team. These people look like they play beach volleyball a lot, so they know what they're doing I guess. I felt a tap on my shoulder and I turned towards the person who had tapped me. I was greeted by Kyle's smiling face and I smiled back at him.

"You know you're not bad at volleyball." He commented and I smiled.

"Thanks, you guys must play a lot hey?" I asked and he shrugged.

"Kind of, we come on weekends because there's not much else to do around here." He admitted and I nodded.

"So you're from here?"

"Yeah. I live about a five minute walk away, it's pretty cool having the beach practically at my door step." My mouth fell open with envy, that's amazing. I wish I lived that close to the beach.

"That's so cool, I wish I lived that close to the beach." I said voicing my thoughts, "but instead we live over an hour's drive away." I said pouting.

"Well if it's any consolidation, I wish you lived closer as well." He said and my cheeks went red again. I smiled at his words and he looked down into my eyes. "Where are you guys staying now though? Close right? You haven't driven for over an hour today and yesterday just to come to the beach?" He asked confused.

"No, thank God." We laughed. "We're staying at that place up there." I said motioning towards the house. "Leo's parents own it and we just came for the long weekend."

"Well I'm glad to have met you on your little getaway."

"I'm glad to have met you too." I said with a smile.

"I think your friend has a thing for Alex." Kyle said looking beyond me with a smirk. I turned around to see Ryder and Alex relatively close together. I saw her laugh extravagantly and I swear I saw his eyes flick in our general direction but they probably didn't. I'm probably just seeing things.

"Want to go for a walk along the beach?" Kyle asked out of nowhere and I turned back around to face him. I looked at the others quickly and noticed they were all in their own little conversations before I agreed and we began walking.

We walked in silence for a few minutes until Kyle stopped and bent down to pick up a shell from the ground. I stopped and watched as he stood back up and held it out to me. "There's a hermit crab inside." He said quietly.