Identity

"Reilly, you're up."

A strong opponent, I noted. It was easy to overestimate a figure as large, but it was easier to realise the slow pace at which he would have procured in a battle.

"You know the rules." Bernard confirmed, standing between me and my opponent.

I nodded my head at the Commander's statement. Reilly followed with partial objection.

My blood boiled into my veins like the bubbles of an active volcano. Smooth in texture, raging blaze as temperature. I could do this. I could do this. It was all I needed to chant. My father taught me well. He taught me that times like these were most important. Because these were the times to plan out an opponent and how you could succumb to govern.

"Alright."

Bernard stalked away, standing in line with a few hesitant Cadets, a few amused, and the rest downright bemused at my placement with an opponent twice my size. Leave that for the Commander to answer, Valerie. It was your time to show the action. Show them who Valerie really was. I watched Reilly stare me down, a look so intense I would've crapped myself if I hadn't been a master of my own self-defence. He tugged on his pants to deliver proper techniques, stretching his legs while maintaining a high level of eye contact, a sumo stance to stretch his inner limbs.

I didn't move a muscle.

I could end this in a matter of seconds, or I could drag it and tire the situation. It was my choice, if I had managed to focus on my intentions. Act it out accordingly.

I noticed Rahul standing in the line, his eyebrows wobbly at the scene to be unfolded. An amused point of view stood guarded in his eyes. He gestured between the two of us, whether we should swap out of courtesy. And somewhat fear for my life. I smiled at him, politely shaking my head before looking back at my opponent, my unreadable mask slipping in. "Reilly." I whispered.

He stopped stretching, raising his eyebrows at me in mock. I gestured for him to come closer and he jutted his chin arrogantly, before taking a step forth, leaving me to fill the gap. I sighed and mentally shook my head. So much arrogance, yet so little brains. I guess I was going for the quick finale of the fight. I stepped forth and tilted my head, keeping the crowd's nosy attention out of our calm conversation. I licked my lips and exhaled, opening my mouth to speak, but Reilly beat me to it.

"If you want me to lose this one for you, Aralana, I suggest you quit now." He muttered, staring at me in downright incomprehension.

I blinked a couple times, wanting to question his sanity and use of arrogance but I shook it off, reminding myself that it was not my duty to teach him right from wrong. "No. I need you to go tough on me. Don't hold back." I answered and his eyebrows disappeared within his hairline, a mock look prizing his face. Without breaking the eye contact, I proved my determination, seeing his disconcert exterior finally coming to view. "Please?"

He had an odd twinkle in his eye before the smug attitude stepped back, well into place. Furthering to create enough distance for the crowd to see each of our expressions, he bowed slightly, a sneer on his lips. "As you wish."

The crowds erupted into small whispers and I formed my fists by my sides. I could feel all the eyes diverting to me. If I had an ounce of curiosity of what the world were to say about me, I would've shrunk to the ground in fear and self-consciousness. Luckily I was raised otherwise.

I looked over at Bernard and he nodded. I answered in the same answer, before looking at my opponent in the concentration I was nurtured to build.

I could hear Bernard take a sharp inhale. A deep, shaky breath. The tension in the room was thick, the Cadets were noticeably nervous and impatient for the fight to begin. Reilly stared at me through his lashes, his chest rising and falling with enough force. His veins were labelling the back of his hands like words being inked on paper.