Prologue

Copyright © 2014 by Shazzaam_

All rights reserved. This book or any portion thereof may not be reproduced or used in any manner whatsoever. 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Any child would wish to have both of their parents. A mother and a father. But some are just unfortunate. Such an immense loss is something I couldn’t wish upon the fortunate.

Flashes of red and blue flickered respectively before my eyes in a rhythmic beat, but the sounds of the sirens were muted. My numb vision remained dry as they observed movements of the lips on the figure dressed in a navy blue uniform. I felt my lips part.

My mother’s shoulders shook as hitches of sobs choked their way out. Her knees gave up in time for the policeman to catch her by the shoulders and steady her. 

I continued to watch her breaking form, ignoring the other officer who watched me uncertainly. Perhaps deliberating whether to step forward and comfort me or leave me to endure the anguish alone.

Beside me, my baby brother stood wobbly, clutching onto my sweatpants with his thumb jammed into his mouth. His round brown eyes engrossed into the scene unfolding before us in pure confusion. He rapidly pressed his face deeper into my leg once my mother exhaled sobs, a little louder than before.  

I couldn’t bring myself to cry, or react in that case. The news hadn’t penetrated my mind and unfortunately it seemed as though it wouldn’t happen for a while.

I couldn’t process the fact that my Mentor, Sensei,

My dad was gone. 

The two rare types of secrets are most imperative. One, that remains retained from the naked eye and the other you don’t dare to reveal.

My name is Valerie and I hold a secret.