Closer than Assumed

Whether my hearing had decided to take a stray walk or cooperate less due to the horrific news I had been receiving for the past week, it was beyond me. 

Delilah continued to wipe the stray tears persistently escaping from her bottom eyelids. The photo frame in my hand was continuously spreading goose bumps down my spine and I resisted the urge to drop everything and run with the wind. I had just discovered the man who fled from his family, his home and was in search for almost twenty years was practically the man who lived next door to me for the past twenty years.

I clumsily placed the frame down, foolishly allowing it to land flat against the glass face . With a small grimace, I fixed it onto it's balance and glanced at the old lady who lived with so much courage for over a decade in loneliness and abided the rules of living on then dying in despair. 

"Do you want some water?" I questioned when she gently placed her head against the white floral pillow that matched her bed sheets.

"No dearie, I'll be just fine." She smiled and I nodded, quietly watching her whither away into sleep.

Backing out of the room, I stopped. With a small glance back into the room, I watched the small tear escape Delilah's closed eyelid, gracefully rolling onto the pillow and gritted my teeth together.

God damn it Alex. How could he have done this to his own mother? His own blood. I didn't listen to both sides of the story and already assumed a judgement but what position she is in now could do nothing but boil blood of those who are overprotective for their loved ones.

Storming out of the room in focus, I hopped down the stairs and continued until I reached the sink. Bracing each side, I glared at my almost visible reflection through the kitchen window that was burning from the hot sun rays. A strange anger built up within my chest and I flung a tea towel at nothing in particular. Stressing both hands through my hair, I moved back to the sink and completed the chore Delilah had left half way.

The kitchen converted into a spic 'n' span commercial and I dried my soap shriveled hands in the tea towel I had foolishly tossed away. Exiting the premises, I strolled down to the rose store and noticed a young girl, perhaps my age serving customers in the queue to purchase their choice of flowers.

She was pulling off a way too big of a smile and I grimaced at how she resembled to be in a lot of pain instead of appealing. Skipping the queue and standing slightly closer to the cash register, I flickered my hand a little more until I gained her reaction. 

Gesturing a 'sleep position' with both hands beside my ear, I pointed towards the ceiling and waited for her reaction. She paused in serving her customer and frowned slightly, before widening her eyes and passing a thumbs up in understanding.

With a full stomach, I stopped before my car and yanked open the door, grimacing at my stupidity for forgetting to lock my car. Scabbing my phone off the dashboard and wallet from the glove box, I shut my car door and locked it with a safe thinking than repeating my previous mistake.

Either way, there was no luck for a thief since my car contained nothing valuable apart from my phone and wallet, which I had now possessed on myself.

Pocketing my wallet, I crossed and strolled towards the corner of the 'Bon Journo' café, quietly scanning my surroundings. A few old men observed me while I strolled past but I ignored their interest. 

A small pay phone situated against the brick wall came into view and I slowed down, before glancing behind myself and scrutinizing if I was being monitored. Apart from the old men previously staring, I assumed the coast to be clear and yanked off the receiver before throwing in a few loose coins from my wallet.