One friendship at a time

Copyright © 2014 by Shazzaam_

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Thursday, 2nd October, 7.00am

The blinding bright sunlight streamed through the gap of my curtains. My eyelids fought against the temptation to open but failed as they ripped apart. I adjusted a glare at the cause of my disrupted sleep that seemed to be shamelessly shining over me. If it were any other day, I would have complimented the gesture, but for right now, I wanted nothing but solitary.

Groaning, I rolled over in tangled sheets till I was snug on the other side, sighing in comfort. I began to enjoy the reappearance of my faded snooze until the alarm clock screeched right next to my ear, absconding the remains of my drowsiness. Pounding on the infuriating technology, I grumbled gibberish under my breath and leaned up, rubbing at my crust filled eyes before patting down my wild hair.

Couldn't I have scored a job like mum and started work in the late hours? Oh that's right. I couldn't stand the thought of deciding whether wearing either aqua or turquoise would suffice the jealous attention of other designers. Traipsing towards the bathroom, I absently shut my eyes while consuming myself into deep thought. Rotating my neck, my forehead painfully smacked against the wall beside the bathroom doorway and I helplessly tumbled onto the floor in a heap, whines remaining to be uttered like a memorized script.

The sound of snickers alerted me and I groaned rubbing the sore spot on my head, the throb of a tension headache slowly increasing. I ducked my flushed face and crawled into the bathroom, kicking the door close.

I placed on the grey three-quarter sleeved knee length dress Andrea had ironed and hung of a clothes hanger in my closet. With great difficulty, I decided against tying my hair since the painful migraine developed in the middle of my head. I scabbed a pair of nude flats from Andrea's wardrobe and left behind the high heels, under the impression she would release me a day without the foot annihilator adding unnecessary pressure on my painful sores.

Hopping down, I took the last step on the stairs and hung my bag on the railing. Frowning, I failed to catch sight of a fast object charging towards me and gasped. Unfortunately on the last second I was unable to reflex and stumbled onto the floor landing with a loud thump, growling at the sudden impact. Flipping over on to the my back, I was about to use some painful violence until the little shit itself sat on my stomach, a teasing grin fulfilling his expressions.

"AXL. WHAT THE F-"

"Language!" Andrea suddenly scolded from the kitchen stool, compelling me to clamp my mouth shut and glare at the brat, up bright and early for the morning. He adamantly remained seated on my torso with his arms and legs crossed while revealing a grin of small baby teeth. I dropped my head against the ground and exhaled roughly through my nose.

Here I was prepared to cause a painful fight, thinking an attacker thought it likewise to tackle me. I stared at the small ball of energy and shook my head. Failing to resist a smile at the grin on his face, he squealed as I lunged at him, tickling him and filling the house with cute little giggles.

"Va-Vale-Veeeee, I'm going to pee, stop it." He chimed, screaming like a little girl while falling off my lap. He giggled some more and I wriggled my fingers around the squishy part of his body, causing him to scream.

I recalled the time of his birth. When Jonathon, Alex and I were waiting in the waiting room for this little critter to be welcomed to this world. The time that he was handed to me, the size of my forearm and heavy snoozer. I remember everybody staring at him like a precious piece while I instantly joked about using him as a football. How would I know that everybody would take me so seriously? After copping a tough cuff over my head from Jonathon, I managed to apologise about being the joker and not a seriously envied sibling, handing the new-found trouble maker but to its rightful owner.