Narrow Escape

Copyright © 2014 by Shazzaam_

Monday 27th October, 12.01pm

"Why are you so jumpy today?"

A sunny Monday afternoon was a surprise among most of the co-workers that I had been closer to at the workplace. From the spring-like ambience to autumn like winds, it was uniquely a pleasant scenery with the plastic chairs up on the terrace. Including Embeth's live gossip about the music festival scheduled on the upcoming weekends.

I was still vexing to figure why I bothered to make an appearance at work when I didn't exactly have the concentrated mind to operate with. I should've just considered taking the day off but lounging around at home was not on the top list of favouritism, especially when things were so tense at home.

While the morning conceded by with thick tension, I skilfully avoided eye contact with everybody. Especially Andrea. With an all-nighter of worry and fear, I was still fuming about being fibbed too and had even gone to measures of locking my room door for Axl to leave me alone. Exhausted from last night's events, I hadn't been in the correct mind to regard either of maid's presence.

Lela ditched the quietness and even went out of her way to say good morning but I unfairly strolled away, too distracted to even respond. George had surprised me in the morning by waiting with my car keys in the kitchen and indirectly questioning my mood, his posture stoic as ever. Snorting, I had shaken my head and distracted myself on my phone, opening and closing apps to present a busy schedule. Aware he'd been ordered by Andrea to gain some response.

Hastily gulping down the last sips of my morning juice, I had bolted out of the house and discovered myself parked in a deserted park not even fifteen minutes later. Feeling as foolish as I looked, I lingered around the area for a good twenty minutes until common sense smacked me one. I couldn't run away from realities every blow and the disappointment Jonathon would have endured for my skills at being a wimp, I sat into the car inspecting my surroundings almost every five seconds before driving off. That too, almost killing a stray cat crossing the road.

I took a bite from my muffin and almost moaned at the taste of warmth melting chocolate spreading inside my mouth. "Had a restless night. Then my alarm decided to bust early morning. Reason for my tardiness." I shrugged while licking my chocolate covered teeth in annoyance.

My appetite and great mood dissipated as soon as it arrived as the memory of last night never faded my mind. Marko's death revolved my thoughts every second and it took great strength not to spill the beans and yell 'I quit' from the world and these people. One second I would assume that the process of healing had begun, the next it seemed as though there was no importance for my existence.

"Oh I hate that."

I paused, my mouth open to take another bite of my muffin, a smile not even present. While I took the liberty of standing and beholding the scenery, Ezio and Embeth chose to sit, arguing as usual over pity topics. I arched an eyebrow and Embeth added. "I meant the alarm clock." She snickered and placed a spoonful of pasta in her mouth, chewing enthusiastically. Suddenly, she doubled over in laughter when I pulled the wrapper off from my muffin. Giving her a bizarre gaze, I regarded Ezio who was already frowning, a grape perking the inside of his cheek.

"What?" I questioned licking my teeth, which happened to taste chocolate free.

"N-nothing. I just had this weird imagination of you biting a chunk of your alarm clock in delight. You know, half asleep and drooling." She chuckled as Ezio snorted silently, pressing the bridge of his nose while chuckles racked his body.

"You are so strange, it's indescribable." I rolled my eyes and gladly sighed, despite the deep thoughts I'd been submerged in for over twelve hours now.