Crystal Clear

Oneshot. Mangaquest.

When Gold and Crystal first met, they didn't get along.

"Yo, old man. What's with-" Gold nearly doubled over when Crystal elbowed him in the ribs.

"I apologize," Crystal said sweetly as she bowed. "He's an idiot."

Yet as the years went by, they grew on each other.

"So anyway I was at the skate park with Silver- the dude is annoyingly good at kick flips- and-"

"Will you shut up?" Crystal went back to looking at her Pokédex entries. "I just need a couple more to complete this area's," she mumbled.

They tolerated each other. They made up for each other's weaknesses: Crystal's seriousness and Gold's lack of.

"C'mon, SSG. Live a little."

"If I do this, I won't be living at all."

They would fight and die for each other.

"Crystal ... please, wake up." The final battle raged around Gold as he looked at Crystal's unmoving body. "I-I'm sorry okay. I still have so much to tell-"

In a single second, Crystal was up and pulling Gold's ear. "How do you like it for once, worrying your best friend's dead?"

"OW! Sorry, sorry. I get it already!" Gold gave a small laugh. "I'll try not to worry you."

"Try?" Crystal pulled harder.

"Won't! I won't worry you!"

~_~_~_~

Several years later, they would find themselves on a beach at sunset, sitting to enjoy the rays of light. The two were no longer teens, but young adults in their late twenties.

"Crystal." Gold spoke, breaking the silence that had fallen between them.

"What?" Crystal asked.

"You look beautiful." Gold gave her a small smile, a real smile.

"... Thanks."

Gold felt the nervousness rise in his throat. It was unlike him to have doubts, but he didn't want the one he loved to make a mistake. "Are you really sure about-"

"I made up my mind about marrying you, Gold. Are we clear about that?" The girl rolled her eyes. The setting sunlight glinted off of the diamond encrusted band of metal on her ring finger.

Gold smiled, looking down at his own ring. "Crystal."