Heat Haze Days

Heat Haze Days Crossover

"Why did you want to meet at the park?" asked Ruby. It was a hot summer day, and he really wanted to go inside instead of sitting on a bench outside.

"No reason," said Sapphire, smiling. She snatched Ruby's hat.

"Hey!" Ruby made a grab for the hat. Suddenly, a gust of wind blew the hat out of Sapphire's hands. She chased it. She followed it out into the middle of the street.

"Hey, Saph, wait-" The truck seemed to come out of nowhere.
The next moment would be embedded in Ruby's mind forever.

The sound of metal hitting a frail human body echoed in Ruby's mind. Sapphire's body lay on the pavement, covered in blood. A flash of red.

"This is all real!" laughed a voice.

-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-

Ruby gasped. He was in his bed. Was it all just a dream? It must have been.

He checked his phone. It was 12:00. Shoot, he was going to be late!

~

"Sorry, Saph," said Ruby, sitting on the park bench.

Sapphire smiled. "No problem."
She snatched his hat. The wind blew it away.

An image of Sapphire's blood-covered body appeared in Ruby's mind.

"Why don't we go for a walk?" he said as he grabbed her hand.

"But your hat-"

"It's fine. I have more." They walked into the city. Suddenly, everyone around them opened their mouths. Sapphire took a step forward.

What seemed like a thousand poles pierced the girl's body. Ruby wanted to scream, but no words came out.

This time, there was another flash of red, this time more prominent, in the shape of a boy.

"This is all real!" the boy laughed.

-•-•-•-•-

Ruby gasped. He lay in his bed again. Only this time, he was sure it wasn't a dream.

He ran to the park and grabbed Sapphire.

"Da heck?" she said. "Where are you taking me?!"

He ran to a bridge and finally stopped to catch his breath.
Sapphire reached the last step, but failed to grab footing. She fell off the bridge.

Another flash of red, and this time Ruby saw it clearly. The flash of red looked exactly like him, but with his scars showing.

"This is all real!" the other Ruby laughed.

Ruby gasped and woke on his bed.

Over and over the cycle continued, and every time Ruby failed to save her. Eventually, he realized decades had past.

There could only be one ending to such a cliché story.

In an instant, Ruby pushed Sapphire out of the way. The truck slammed into him. The other Ruby stood crying. There was a flash of blue, and Ruby's eyes widened as he realized the truth.

~•~•~•~•~•~•~

Sapphire found herself laying on her bed and started to cry.

"I failed this time too," she sobbed. And the cycle began all over again.

Unknown to both of them, a pair of golden eyes had watched the whole thing.