43 - The Cheerleader And The Cage Fighter.... Are Dance Partners?

Loren Allred – Never Enough

Take my hand
Will you share this with me?
Cause, darling, without you
All the shine of a thousand spotlights
All the stars we steal from the night sky
Will never be enough
Never be enough
Towers of gold are still too little
These hands could hold the world but it'll
Never be enough
Never be enough
For me

Holy guacamole - I'm back.

***********************

"You look pale today Kaydie, is everything okay?" Jordan asked before taking a loud slurp of his slushie.

We all know that's code for you look like poop.

"It's just my face. Thanks Jordan" I answered bluntly, leaving the poor boy looking bewildered.

I was cream crackered.

After some therapeutic Liam hugs the night before, I'd returned 'home'. I'd always felt blessed to have a nice house and both parents as I know so many aren't that fortunate. But it didn't feel like a proper home at the moment, I felt like Max and I were the only occupants who acted like real family.

I hadn't slept at all the night before. Instead I'd been left with my thoughts – some good and some bad.

"Oh my god Jordan, you can't just ask people why they're pale" Chelsea teased in an attempt to lighten the mood.

Looking around the canteen, I saw a familiar head of dark hair leaving the room.

"I'll see you later" I told my friends, jumping to my feet and following in the direction that I had seen the person heading in.

We so needed a proper chat.

They had power walked to the school field and had already sat down on the bleachers by the time I caught up.

Candice noticed that I was beside her and rolled her eyes.

"Can we talk, please?" I asked softly.

She wouldn't have approached me so politely, but I was so over the pettiness between us.

I'd had a lot of time to think last night.

"I don't have anything to say to you" she responded scathingly, viciously taking a bite of the apple that she was holding.

Maybe she was imagining it was my head.

Sitting down, I let silence fall between us, other than the occasional angry crunch of her biting the apple.

Maybe this hadn't been one of my best ideas.

"How does it feel?" she finally broke the silence with a bitter tone.

Glancing at her I waited for her to elaborate. Her long black hair blocked part of her face so that I couldn't see her expression.

"How does it feel for everything to happen for you so easily?"

She lifted her head and stared ahead, but I could feel her disdain for me radiating from her.

"I don't have every-" I tried to say but I was cut off with a scoffing sound.

"You're filthy rich, you have a proper family, Brian Sykes would be with you if you clicked your fingers, you have friends who are legitimate ride or die. Then there's the boyfriend"

She listed her points effortlessly as if this was a long time coming.

"You get high grades, everyone at this fucking school loves you. You're stupidly pretty and popular. And now- now you've taken my squad away too".