Chapter 1; Introductions

I didn't think moving from Trenton, New Jersey to Belleville would be fun.

Hey, I was right.

First, we moved into a shitty one story house. Lemme explain "we". It's just me and my dad. Mom died, and I have no siblings, so yeah. We moved because my dad's job transferred him to a new office. We move right in the middle of summer. In the fall, I would be attending Belleville High School (such a creative name, huh?) and I would be a Junior.

I thought my dad was at least going to let me relax on the first few days and get used to the town, but no. It turns out I had to get a job. At least he let me choose. But the options weren't very appealing. I could work at some fast-food joint (haha, no), Barnes and Noble's (*snore*), or Platinum Records (some music store). I figured I'd go with the last one. If there's one thing I like, it's music. I even play guitar.

So I ended up applying and I got the job. My dad ordered that once I unpacked at least three boxes, I go. So I did. It took a lot of energy, though.

I shouldn't have told him I unpacked. At exactly eight on the dot my dad yanked the covers off my happily sleeping body.

"Get up!" he ordered. I groaned in response. "If you don't get up, I'm telling Platinum to forget you and applying you to Barnes and Noble's."

That got me up.

I rolled out of bed and right onto the floor. I groggily got up and went to shower. Once I finished, I threw on the first clothes my hands brushed in my closet. They were some gray skinny jeans and a Blink - 182 shirt. I put my hair in a messy bun and trudged downstairs.

"I hate you," I stated as I sat down at the kitchen table.

"Love you too," Dad responded, smirking. He set some cereal in front of me. "Eat. You'll need some energy."

I didn't nod, but I ate it all. On the way out, I grabbed the keys to my beat up car. I've had it for a year, and it seems to age even when I don't drive it...

I drove to Platinum, almost getting lost a few times, might I add. But I finally made it. I was greeted by a blast of cool air as I stepped in. I walked to the front counter and saw a boy there. He looked about my age. He was really muscular and had blonde hair... and a lip ring.

I liked this guy.

"Hi... Um, I'm supposed to work here today?" I said wearily when I got up to him.

He looked up at me without blinking. "Right. You're Stella right? Welcome to Platinum Records." He sounded bored with the last part.

"So... What do I do now?"

"You get to learn the art of the register while I, the manly man, bring up shit from the storage and put it away on shelves."

I giggled at that. "Oh really? Sounds easy enough."

He disappeared down some steps and I made myself comfortable at the register, propping my feet up on the table, and reading a magazine. What? It's not like anyone was here now anyway.

 Bob came back up fifteen minutes later carrying a load of boxes.

"Do you need help with that?" I offered, already getting up.

"No, it's fine. I'm a strong man, I can handle it."

I ignored him and opened the first box. It was full of CD's. "So do I just shelve this crap?"

He sighed, obviously not pleased with me helping him. "Yeah. In alphabetical order. Hey, can you do me a favor? Some guys are gonna come here soon. Can you let me know if they come in?"