III

"Coffee," I chocked back, looking him straight on.

His eyes said that he was serious and very intimidating. I couldn't back down now.

*****

"Why here?" He asked looking around the hip coffee shop. This wasn't his "scene", and it was a bit funny seeing him here.

"I usually do my work here and I like the serenity. Oh and thank you for the lift."

This was my coffee shop. It was very green and had a beautiful environment. We had history.I loved the whole scene especially now that I was with Mr. Lane, it was very calming for my nerves.

"So why did you want to have coffee?"

"Does there have to be a reason," Nathan's eyebrow rose as he looked straight on.

I couldn't help but look away. I always felt uncomfortable looking people straight on in the eyes unless I knew them on a personal level.

"I guess not," I paused, "But usually when you invite someone you have a reason."

It was quiet today and the plants were shading us nicely as we sat outside. This cobblestone coffee shop made me feel so much at ease.

"I just wanted coffee and you happened to say yes."

"And if I said no?"

"I would've gone myself or gone back to work."

Nathan said curtly and sipped his coffee. It bothered me because he didn't touch it up at all.

"You like yours black," I questioned as I fixed my cup.

"I do."

"Hmm."

We sat in silence for a bit until Nathan finished his cup.

"So what now?"

"I don't know," I looked up from my cup. "Why did you really want to have coffee?"

"Is there a reason," he challenged, "How do you know?"

"It's my job."

Nathan grabbed a croissant and broke it, "Because you are very interesting."

"You don't know me."

"Your mysteriousness draws me." Then he took a bite of the croissant, still watching me.

I felt like groaning at his lame method of flirting. Unless he was being honest... either way it made me feel a bit odd.

"I'm the reporter. I'll ask the questions, alright?" Then I began laughing.

"Ok, go on."

Abruptly I stopped laughing, "I was just kidding."

"Go ahead ask me. Then I'll ask you."

I sat there looking into his green eyes, trying to see if this was a good or bad choice. I had nothing to hide, did I?

"Ok," I agreed. "Did you always want to be a successful entrepreneur?"

"I always succeeded and wanted to succeed but I didn't have anything specific in mind. Life turned out to be like this." His words carried heavy arrogance but rooted in them was emptiness. This I found a bit interesting but overlooked it.

"Are you married or in a relationship?"

"A relationship?"

I didn't know if he was mocking me but he did sound a bit confused.