XXXVIII

Madeline's POV

This couch is comfy. I am the couch.

I find myself thinking about trivial things lately. My brain is stupid right now. I have time so mixed up. I remember breaking up with Jake, but... I couldn't tell Nathan. He doesn't need help, at best, we are pass strangers and now passive friends. I don't really care how old, or should I say "past-present" Madeline felt. I knew what was in front of me, I still had feelings for Jake.

How can I drop my history with Jake for Nathan? From what I gathered from the journal, everything was crazy whenever I affiliated with Nathan. What happened to me? How could I stray that far from my path? I was so ambitious, then what?! Love?! Nathan?!

There were things that I read that I'm glad I don't remember. I don't even like thinking about them.

CHANGE OF SUBJECT!

"I need to go out," I stand up and soon I'm caught up in a graduation photo. I don't want to think about what I miss, so I push it face down. I don't want to hear about Lexie, Times or some other successful bullshit that I did. I change into more subtle and fitting clothing then I walk out the door.

The breeze is nice, tranquil. This I do remember. I continue down and I find myself down the street. This anxiety builds up in me, starting in my mind and traveling to my stomach. What if I forget where I live? What if I get lost? No, get your shit together Madeline! I tell myself and I continue. If anything happens, I at least have my phone.

Nathan's POV

"I don't need to see anyone," I tell Kyle through the phone, "I'm getting ready for a meeting so stop calling me."

"Nathan, don't you dare-" and I disconnect the call.

"Mr. Lane," Barbara smiles genuinely to me. I know what she is going to ask, it never changes. "Madeline?"

"Fine," my reply is the same as always.

She nods and looks back to her computer. I know I should be kinder to her, she did help with the media, and was very supportive and a great help to my father, but I dislike the constant chatter concerning Madeline. Everyone just continuously asks and asks.

She is "fine".

But not really.

"Fucking depressing," I say to myself as I press the button to close the elevator doors.

*****

Later that day, I search for ways to occupy myself. So I resort to going to a club with Kyle.

Sebastian drops me off, and he reminds me to call him when I am ready. I agree, and go to the shimmering doors of the nightclub.

"Mr. Lane," a security guard nods to me and allows me in.

"He's hot."

"I look better."

"Hey, baby..."

"He's famous or what?"

"He looks rich."

"I think I've seen him somewhere..."