XIV

Nathan's POV

It's been a while since I found out about the child I was having with Melissa. We were very passive aggressive to each other and no matter what I said or did, Maddie wouldn't answer me. I was practically excluded from her life.

But if she had made things easy on me, I don't think I would have fallen for her. I know I have changed but that isn't to bad since I know that even when I'm at my worst Maddie still cares. As sad as it is to admit, it makes me feel pleased.

If I could rewind time and not have slept with Melissa I would do it but then maybe I would've never gone to Maddie. But now something I didn't care for refrained me from being with the only person that actually made me feel something.

Yet here I was, almost 25 and having a child, a little beast just like me with the woman who I began to despise more than my rivals and other individuals. This child would be the devil himself with us as parents. So as a result I went back to my intense and excessive exercise regime. I avoided Melissa as best I could but she had a wealthy family like mine and our father's knew each other just like our families did, so it was almost impossible to avoid her.

Her father was a lawyer and her mom was a nurse. They had large organizations and became filthy rich. I'm sure that if I did anything against their wishes they'd not only attack me, my wealth and my family but maybe even Maddie. They were a dangerous family with children that played dirty so I guess that's what led me to fall for such a girl, but not the way I fell for Maddie.

"You should drink some water Sir," Sebastian reminded me as I blindly kept hitting the punching bag.

Thanking Sebastian for reminding me I jumped off the practice mat and made my way to my water bottle. I couldn't stop thinking about how fucked I was. But who wouldn't in my position?

"Sir?"

"What?!"

"Your father has been calling."

"Why?"

"He's been wondering when you'd talk to him, you were suppose to have dinner with him the other day."

Sebastian was firm and straight, even when I was like a crazed, uncultured animal. I felt sympathy for being rude but I'd rather be rude to him than Melissa.

As for avoiding my father, I wanted to have space until I was positive that I had to tell him the news. God knows how happy it could make him and how unhappy it would make me. Maybe that is why I'm like this now.

I was a man with no one who he could say he was in "love" with, key word was. That didn't mean I didn't love Maddie, but after that I couldn't help but feel some anger towards her. Did I love her? How do I know I love her? Something was wrong with me and my old ways felt like they would stir again but harsher than ever. Damn it all! I had a rough life and when it seems to be a little less horrid it gets more shitty. All this money did make me happy but unlike my father I didn't have a family. I had no one to share it with, at least anyone that mattered. At least he had a family to be happy with. For I was alone, and soon to be the father of a child that was far beyond a mistake, sadly enough.

You'd think as the most intelligent man in my class and the most successful young man in this whole country I'd have it all. But I was missing something and it took me 14 years to see that it was someone to share it with.

"Fuck all this!"

"Mr. Lane," Sebastain ran up to me as I threw the water to the floor.

"I'm leaving. Have Mrs. Monty clean all this."