XLIII

A/N Final chapter! Read to very end for Easter egg 🥚 lol. Enjoy the rest of the book and the song. It's like literal feels music 💧

**Also heads up, if you see any mistakes or want to share some advice. Hit me up or just comment. The book is done but under construction**

Madeline's POV

Nathan hair was soft, the touch so familiar. It was a distant memory coming to life once again in the world of my mind. Looking at him sleep was interesting and intriguing, he was relaxed and vulnerable. I liked seeing him vulnerable... maybe that made me sadistic. Ha! Sure, if anything he was.

My hand landed on his cheek and I began to think of how I would define our relationship. Were we ready to begin where we last left off, did we already? We last left off on a bad note but even then I cared for him like I do now, maybe more.

While thinking, Nathan shifted and now his eyes met mine, holding me in his sight. "I'm sorry."

My finger stroked his cheek and I shook my head softly in reply. 

This all felt like a dream. We seemed domestic, sleeping and sharing a bed. Saying morning to one another, and then the dreamlike state broke when I remembered that I had to tell my friends and family that I was back. I was back after months of being away.

*****

"I need you to keep up with me Maddie." Her voice was fierce yet devastatingly emotional.

"Mom, I have to go. You're worse than dad."

"I am a 'momma bear'."

"Don't I know. I gotta go, bye."

"Bye honey, and visit me when you get the chance. I need to see you."

And finally I was done. Those who needed to know now knew. Both my parents got emotional, including my father. And my mom wanted to fly here. It took some serious negotiating and promises to get her to stay in France. My friends acted like it was deserving of a celebration but luckily Jake simply cared about me being safe and happy, he was the best. Barbara was also quite simple, or so I thought.

I had joined Nathan at his office because Barbara made it explicit that she wanted to see me when things were resolved.

"So now the wedding will go on!" Barbara was smiling wide, her teeth gleaming like a sign from God. "I was so desperate for you to be okay, not just for you and Mr. Nathan Lane's sake but because I wanted to get my life rolling again. No offense, I don't want to make this all about me me me."

Laughing I asked, "So when's the date now?"

Barbara grinned, her smile genuine and beautiful. She was so undeniably excited. Before she answered she pressed her palms together as if praying and held them up to her mouth. "As soon as I can have this baby!"

Quickly she took me in to her arms, obviously excited and I genuinely was too... then it registered. "Y-you're prenant?!"

She released me and jumped. "A few months already. I mean it was a bit unexpected but you know I tried postponing the wedding for you but life gave us well... life," she smiled and looked down at her stomach. She was pregnant yet I simply thought I had forgotten how she looked or thought she had put on some weight. "I haven't said much to anyone."

"Ok, I'll let you tell Nathan. I'm so happy, I hope you guys are happy and congrats on everything! Man, I feel so left out and lost, it feels like we're going from 1 to 100." As I watched Barbara glow in her joy I began to feel something odd... I felt jealous. I'm not going to act like I don't know why, I know it was because of Nathan and because Barbara was moving on with life so quickly. I felt like mine was on pause for so long, and that I had missed so much. This was starting to get to me.