V

Madeline's POV

"Nathan Lane meet my daughter Madeline Cunningham." Father delightfully introduced us, but we still acted very calm. I can't explain it but I didn't want him to know that Nathan and I knew each other.

Nathan gave me his hand and I shook his firmly, just how dad liked it.

"Nice to meet you," he smirked.

Beads of sweat began building up on my neck and I felt furious, anxious and upset.

"Nice to meet you Mr. Lane."

"I didn't know you had a daughter Mr. Cunningham." Nathan let go of my hand and placed it in his pocket as he smiled falsely to my father. He was good.

I stood back by my father watching Nathan anxiously.

"She uses her mothers maiden name so I didn't know how to bring her up. I guess she didn't want part to do with the Cunningham's."

"Dad, I have to go. Please answer my calls."

"I will sweetheart," and he kissed my forehead.

I began walking away when I stepped on my dress and slipped.

"Be careful," Nathan caught me, "We wouldn't want you hurt."

Standing by myself I thanked him and said bye one more time. Then I heard my father.

"Good job Nathan Lane, very good!"

*****

When I felt like I covered most of the gala I decided to take a taxi home. Outside I saw Sebastian, Nathan's driver.

"Hello Miss. And Nathan?"

"I'm taking a taxi."

"Ohh," the driver lowered his head, "If you like I can take you home."

"It's fine."

"I must. If Mr. Lane found out that I let you take a taxi he'd kill me."

Observing this man's face I saw no trouble other than the fact that he knew Nathan. His clean mustache and bald head made me feel really at ease. Like I could trust this man.

"Ok, but only since I don't have enough money."

"That is fine. Here let me open the door for you."

He ran to open the door for me and closed it when I entered.

"Where to?"

I gave him my address and sat back watching him drive.

"What type of person is Nathan?"

"Miss?"

"You seem to know Nathan, what type of person is he?"

"He's a hard worker, and very smart."

"Tell me something I don't know, only between us."

"Well Nathan may seem very different or may not seem to have the same mindset as much of society but that's just because things were not always easy for him."

"Things never are."

"Yes but Nathan had to get through these things alone. And for him this success fills a hole in him that no woman can. But success could only do so much."

"So is that why he doesn't follow the standard or old fashioned method of dating?"

"Ma'am?"

"I know Sebastian."