XXII

It was a new day. A fresh day. Yet, I felt so guilty for arguing with Nathan. It was unfair for me to admit my feelings to him, especially given his situation.

I was conflicted.

But today was a new day and I still had to help Nathan until someone came to relieve me. Today we were going to swab his mouth and give Samantha the sample. I was uninvited but it didn't matter, we were pass respect and normality.

"Nathan!" I lowered my hand from the doorbell and looked back to my phone. I had no messages and no missed calls. I tried searching for the spare key that I took from the kitchen but couldn't find it. "Nathan!"

As I finished yelling for Nathan a man opens a door from another area of the building and shoots me a glare.

"Sorry. I-I..."

He walks my way as I step back. The large man with black eyes and a large torso grabs my wrist, kicks Nathan's door and swings me in.

"Shut up," the older man looks to me as I stand frightened but now inside Nathan's home, "I'll pay for it, now let me get some sleep!"

He marches off with force. As I come back to my senses I begin feeling pain in the area he grabbed my hand and see it turn from a bright pink to purplish color.

"Are you alright?"

When I turn Nathan is coming out of the kitchen and coming my way. I place both hands down and nod.

"Let me see your hand," he finally reaches me and softly takes my hand.

He's bipolar. I think to myself. But I decide against raising an argument, so I let him look at my hand. His arm is still wrapped as well but he seems to not need any pain killers.

"Ahh."

Looking to my hand Nathan lifts a finger and points to the now purple wrist. "Here, lets put some ice."

I don't mention the door with the broken knob and close it to the best of my ability before following Nathan.

*****

So far things were going weirdly better than I expected. He was being...kind? I didn't understand but I also didn't argue with it. I just went along with it-it was better than the alternative.

"Ok I think this is good," I move the ice away from my wrist.

He takes the ice pack and puts it into the freezer. Then it's quiet, very quiet. Nathan's face doesn't look mad, concerned or happy it looks like it usually did.

"Well I'm going to the doctor for the sample," Nathan announced as he took a seat at the island. I followed suit.

All I could say was 'I'm sorry' or give up, but instead I chose a future with Nathan which included me supporting him, "Ok let's go."

It's funny how we acted towards each other, we had yet made up or discuss last night's events. It was awkward, this whole situation was awkward, but we didn't say anything, we just went on living.

Nathan was wearing a suit and I didn't bother asking why or how he able to put it on. He looked handsome, brilliant and powerful, but he didn't need a suit to for that. He was.