XXXI

Madeline's POV

About a week had passed and Nathan and I were meeting with a lawyer for the case against Melissa. Our relationship was not yet public, which actually was in some way exciting because of all the secrecy. I didn't see why people would care about me, but since Nathan is like a Hilton in some weird way, the media cared.

Only close friends and family knew but speaking of family, Nathan's was really screwed up right now due to what John did.

His father avoided both his sons and John's mother was helping John out from God knows where.

"Miss Bloom," the woman held out her hand as I walked into the conference room of the law firm.

"Hello," I shook her hand and Nathan followed.

Taking a seat beside each other I held Nathan's hand nervously.

"Looks like you may win this case," the woman finally spoke after observing us.

"That sounds about right but concerning my brother-"

"So we found out from our third party that your brother was pressured into this. Though that still does not make this ok, but it's up to you if you'd like to proceed taking legal action against him."

The woman handed Nathan some papers and began speaking to him concerning the case. This all seemed so extravagant and to far. I couldn't find it in my heart to do this.

"I'll give you some time to think about it but we could maybe get a few million if you really wanted," she stood up and walked out.

Watching the straight face lawyer leave I imagined how many times she did this, how many cases she had done and won. Nathan had told me that she was the best of the best but it still seemed so wrong to do this.

"What do you think?"

"Huh?" I turned to Nathan.

"What do you think we should do?"

I sighed, "We?"

"Yes. We."

"Nathan I honestly don't think we should do this. I'm having major second thoughts about this."

"Madeline how's your book doing?"

"Alright but what does that have to do with this?"

"What if someone copied your book or plagiarized it? Would you take matters into your own hands?"

"I guess."

"Why?"

I thought for a moment and saw where this was going, "Because I worked hard on it and for someone else to gain from my hard work like that is very disrespectful and pretty harsh."

"Ok well Melissa abused our relationship and my brother. And she did this to gain from my hard work."

"But Nathan doesn't that sound a bit hypocritical."

"How so?"

"Well some could argue that you abuse women, especially Melissa. I mean for the child to even have the remote chance of being yours means that you also partook in this so being the victim isn't fair to her or you."

Nathan released my hand and leaned forward. Blankly looking at the empty seat across from his, he looked a bit confused. Whenever I caught glimpses of Nathan having "human-like expressions", it made me feel warm. It made me feel more comfortable in his presence, oddly.

"Ok," Nathan picked up his head and looked to me, "But I'm not dropping all of it."

"That's fine. I'm not telling you to totally give up or give in but to take it back. I have no doubt that you will win but they still were part of your life."