XXIX

*Warning: Prone to changes*

"Wait."

I was guessing Nathan had finished speaking so now I wanted to speak.

"My life was not as interesting or story worthy as yours-"

"I would like to hear it either way."

Lifting my face back to Nathan he leaned back and closed his eyes, "Continue."

Taking some time to think of where to start I fell back to bed and clasped my hands above my abdomen as I recounted my life.

"As you know my name was first Madeline Cunningham. I use to live in a large house somewhere in Brooklyn with my parents. I was their only child so I was spoiled by my father. He use to take me on trips to his job where I met many of his friends who always dressed like price tags. But my mother was very different, she didn't care for wealth, she took things as they were. She argued with my father over minor things such as my schooling, such as private or public and what I would be exposed to. But even though they argued they had enough love to last as long as they did. My mom was a freelancer at many things due to her many talents. My father was fine with it since he was making more money than he knew what to do with. And when you talked about seeing me when I was younger I don't think you would've liked to see a girl with a tooth missing every week and puffy red cheeks."

"Doesn't that sound cute to you?"

"Well cute yes, attractive no. Anyways middle school was when I hit puberty and soon the same boys I had liked now seemed interested. Many girls didn't like me because they thought that I was unfair for being "rich" and beautiful. For this reason I didn't have much friends either and my grades became "outstanding" as my teachers would say, but my mother raised me to be fairly humble. I had some flings in high school but being as passive as I was they never lasted long. By the time I was in college nothing really mattered and my competitive "go get em' nature" was blossoming. When I moved out to university news hit that my father's little girl was attending NYU. I got other offers from people that my father knew but it didn't feel right, anyways NYU was my dream. Some people were such gold diggers that they acted like they were friends with me just because my father. Then others criticized me in the papers or in class about not being fair. My whole life I tried being fair, I couldn't help how I looked, how I was fortunate, I tried helping others and yet I still got slammed for being labeled rich, that is why it is so hard for me to gloat. So after I proved that I wasn't stupid I graduated with honors and maybe not at the top of my class but I won awards as a college student. I helped the homeless with my free time and also spent my time supporting Jake with his dream. I worked hard to be a good person and enjoyed it but very few accepted me for who I was and resented me for what I represented."

"Can you tell me about Jake," Nathan asked after a brief silence.

"What, why? Isn't that too personal."

"I think we passed the border of personal, especially after our life stories. As for why, I just want to see what would be my competition."

I could imagine the smirk on his face as he finished. I was flustered but didn't see a reason to be. He knew about us even before we started to briefly date so why did it matter now?

Giving in I licked my lips and began to clear my throat, "Jake was someone I met in school. He was in one of my writing classes and was talented for putting his thoughts into words. He was charismatic, smart and kind."

"It appears you were enamored."

"I was," I smiled a brushed my eye, "He was there for me and I for him. We were together for almost 3 years until something happened.... my parents divorce had finally caught up to me and I went through a depressing phase. I couldn't be a supportive girlfriend and though he wanted to be there for me I couldn't let him throw all that he worked hard for away. So I broke up with him. Neither of us enjoyed it but it had to be done. He hated that I made that decision thinking it was better for us but I don't regret it. He became successful and we still kept in touch." Hearing myself reminisce about Jake, I noticed how much I loved him and how it still lingered today. My chest began to ache with emotions of loneliness, and soon I doubted every decision I made.