XVIII

Nathan's POV

Not only was I damned to be useless but now Madeline was here. I didn't need her here, but I wanted her here. Maybe under other circumstances... but that isn't the case.

"Why would you want to help me," the million dollar question had escaped my conscious.

I looked at her angelic face waiting for a reply which seemed like forever. Then her lips parted ever so slightly, ready to reply.

"Because Mr. Lane, I stupidly can't leave you alone," she turned to me with apples for cheeks.

We sat there for about a minute just looking at each other. I missed her, all I thought about nowadays was my situation with Melissa but I truly missed Madeline. Now seeing her made me regret everything I had learned to accept but that day the confidence left with the indestructible image I tried so hard to maintain. I wanted to be complete, not broken. I wanted to be hers and only her's. And vice-versa.

I didn't want to be dependent on her and have her take care of me.

I wanted to be her partner not her patient.

Madeline's POV

I smiled finally feeling relieved of feelings. It felt good just saying them even if he didn't reply. But this was only haft ways over.

"So," I cough, "Where's um, Melissa?"

"I think fashion week or something," he finally answers. He pretended to not even notice, which was fine but also disheartening.

"Or something," I raise my eyebrow and get off his bed. "So what is usually your schedule?"

"Are you missing work?"

"Oh. That was random, actually I'm not working currently. I might go back to my dad." I was leaving you idiot, and now you expect me to have a job again!

"Do you have savings?"

"A bit. Ok here, let's get up."

"I'll pay you for helping."

"Nathan, my god," I whine and rub my forehead, "It's fine."

"No, it's not, I don't just abuse people for being charitable. Either I pay you or you can leave."

"If I leave will you hire someone else."

"No, I don't want news to spread about me being weak or sick."

"Fine! I'll take your money," I give in, "Now let's get up."

He doesn't give me his hand and gets up faulty like a broken machine.

"I can do somethings," he sighs and walks to the bathroom.

"Do you need..." I blush not finishing my sentence.

"No I can do this," he turns to me and scoffs.

His hair is longer now which makes him 10 times more hotter but I have to focus. I'll let him go bathroom then... what's next...?

A few minutes pass and he comes out totally fine and accomplished.

"Are you hungry?"