XL

Nathan's POV

After giving her the necklace, I felt a renewal of hope build. Frustrated as I was with the situation, I had chosen this path. I just hoped it was the right path and if I learned anything, someone was bound to get hurt in the end and I hoped it would not be her.

Work continued gradually, celebrities had babies, blockbuster movies were released, attention had turned away from me. My Paris Hilton status had fallen, and now people began to take me seriously now seeing that I was the same Nathan Lane I was so long ago. This is why fame never suited me in this class.

I felt that once I began being on the papers and tabloids, people began to question my integrity.

And now I had decided to buy a home shy of 5 million given that bitcoin was skyrocketing and all my stocks were fairing well on the market. Investments were coming through and so were my companies. My rivals were falling behind in the race and I was taking lead. Everything was falling into place yet I was alone, young and wealthy but I felt alone.

I was buying a home in Old Brookville and my father was planning on investing in a retirement home for himself somewhere in the Hamptons. I was not at the point yet but I was fine with my new home. Although Mrs. Monty complained about the hired help and distance from her husband, I offered to have Sebastian chauffeur her to and from her home. In the end she still agreed to stay with me so long as I gave her another raise, which I wholeheartedly did, even if I had done it a few weeks ago too.

Sebastian simply followed and was happy that he now had a bigger workspace for his little dabblings which I believe consisted of cars, though I only used a handful of the cars I owned. Which brings me full circle to Madeline.

A week had passed since I visited her at her home and although we had contact, it was very surface level. No depth, our relationship had changed and there was no turmoil or drama, aside from the obvious.

Today was the dreadful day in which I was to host a dinner party. As reluctant as I was, my father had persuaded me to utilize this as an opportunity to gain more clients and allies. I did not hate hosting these events but I did dislike the company. This is why I had a handful of people so close as to call my friends.

And so as my guest entered, they had brought wives, mistresses, and other friends. It was interesting seeing how connected we all were and how we worked those connections. More than haft the guests were my father's age and others young men like myself.

Sebastian had picked Madeline up in a limousine which reminded me of a bittersweet time. Sebastian was someone who anyone could trust and I was thankful that he had become an ally for her at this dinner party.

When Madeline entered accompanied by Sebastian, she beamed. Her hair softly curled, little make-up, plum lips accompanied by a wine colored halter dress. She looked elegant and youthful. The other women in our company were elegant too, many young and beautiful but somehow too extravagant like trophies. But Madeline was no one's and she was eye capturing.

She was the sun.

Excusing myself from present company, I made my way to Madeline. Sebastian bid farewell and as he retreated to the kitchen I could see a faint smile form on his face, he had missed her company and so did I.

"Are these all your friends," Madeline asked as she scanned the large area. We were now in the sunroom although the sun was setting, but it was still something beautiful and charming.

Before I could answer, my father had joined us and introduced himself warmly. Then she came from behind, quietly and in an undetectable manner, her smile was fake as the rest of her personality, and she gave Madeline her hand in soft manner, as if she were royalty. She was condescending but I was the only person to notice. If it were my decision only, I would have never invited her, but my father insisted as he proclaimed that everyone would bring their wives and so forth. Essentially, he did not want to be the odd man out.