Chapter Fifteen

I pulled up to the corner down the street from Skilla's house. Why Leila had me picking her up here was a sole mystery to me. I knew Skilla and I'm sure he wouldn't mind me parking outside of his house for three little seconds. I shrugged and dialed Leila's number. It rang a few times while I picked at my nails, scraping the week old nail polish, and bobbed my head to the music playing over the radio. "I'm coming." Leila spoke fast into the phone and quickly hung up. I looked at my phone to see if she had really just done that. My ears were not deceiving me.

Another five minutes passed before I heard my passenger side door being yanked open. My first instinct was to reach into my purse and grab my small pink mace gun. Landyn had bought it for me claiming that video niggas weren't shit and he wanted me to be protected at all times. I was so close to pulling the little trigger that pushed and released the mace spray just before I saw it was Leila. "Bitch, you gone mace me?" She looked at me crazy with an amused smirk plastered in her face.

"I thought you were somebody else." I sighed, placing my hand over my fast beating heart. "You scared my ass." I rolled my eyes and threw the mace back into my purse. I turned back to Leila who was now slumped into the passenger seat with huge Gucci glasses covering her eyes. "I missed you baby!" I smiled. "But what's wrong?"

"Nothing." she sighed, taking off her glasses. I noticed the excessive amount of powdered makeup spread over her normally smooth skin. She never wears foundation or coverup because her skin has almost always been flawless. She's not far enough along in her pregnancy to be causing blotchy skin, either. I reached over and swiped my thumb across the thick butterscotch colored foundation under her eye. she flinched and pulled back.

"Why do you have so much makeup on? And why you flinching?" I raised an eyebrow.

"I was trying something new and ended up smearing too much on. And I don't know why I just flinched." she shrugged. "My scary ass." I looked at her skeptically for a few more seconds before starting up my car and driving in the direction of the salon.

I could feel that Leila was lying. About what, I wasn't sure. I knew Skilla had smacked her and that could've been indication of abuse, but I didn't want to assume on a subject I knew nothing about. I would hate to think that that man was sitting in the house sexing on other girls and then beating the shit out of my best friend whenever he felt the need to. Putting two and two together, that was my first thought. But me knowing my best friend and being certain that she would never stay with an abusive man that's doing nothing but beating her ass while she's pregnant, I just find it hard to believe. I mean, Leila claims she loves this guy. She can never tell me what makes her love him so much or why she even fell for him so hard in the first place. Leila is normally a 'fuck and duck' type of person, but with this man, she's like some new person. not only is she acting weird and being distant, but she will tell you she loves Skilla five or more times in one conversation. It's like an obsession that doesn't make any sense. He denied your unborn baby and put his hands on you all in one time span, but you can't seem to get over him. I know I can't be the only one that doesn't understand.

We made it to the salon thirty minutes later. Our whole car ride was silent, I was stuck in my thoughts and Leila appeared to be too. She sat still sunken in her seat with her shades over her eyes, perched low on the bridge of her nose. I sighed at the sight. She wasn't happy or even having a pregnancy glow. She's early in her pregnancy, yes, but she should still have a beautiful golden tint to her light skin. Something, damn.

When I parked Leila didn't even move. She didn't try to get out the car or even look out the window at our surroundings. I stared at her, burning holes in her pale, flushed, makeup covered cheek. She didn't even spare me a glance. Not anything. I know she can feel me staring at her ass. Most everybody I know has that instinct. I squinted my eyes and turned my head sideways still looking at her. "Lei... did that man hit you?" She snapped her head towards me so fast I could hear it cracking in the process. She had a mean scowl plastered all over her face and that's when I knew. She wouldn't be so upset or mean looking if it weren't true. As long as I've known her and seen how she reacted to rumors or questions like mine, I would know. I knew the answer was yes. I was just waiting for her to say it.

"Why would he put his hands on me Ashleigh? He's not dumb." She rolled her neck and was probably rolling her eyes behind her sunglasses.

"Lei stop lying to me.. Please." I looked at her with a softer face, but she kept her scowl in tact.

"He did not hit me! Damn!" She blew out a huge huff of breath while smacking her leg. The sound of her slap echoed through the now deadly silent car. I kept my gaze on Leila. She was now crying and had makeup washing down her face. I wanted to comfort her, but the fact that she was covering for a man that put his hands on her was rubbing me the wrong way. "Take me home. I don't want to do this anymore." I sighed before starting up the car and driving in the direction if our apartment. "Darien's house is in the other direction."

"You said home. Home ain't with no grown ass little boy that put his hands on a female like she some nigga off the street. A grown ass pregnant woman at that." She groaned and started back running her mouth. I wasn't even in the mood. All the good vibes I was feeling earlier went straight down the drain dealing with Leila's ass. I turned the music up on her and kept heading towards our destination, our apartment.

When we got to our place Leila was the first one out of the car. She slammed my door in the process and I was about ten seconds away from snapping on her. I understand she's mad, but hell, you're the one being stupid. I'm honestly just trying to help you. I groaned before walking into the house moments after her. She slammed her room door and then started stomping around. She lucky her ass pay bills in this bitch or that ignorance would have been cut off real quick.

I plopped down on the couch and started flicking through tv channels. This wasn't the first fight we've had, nor would it be the last. The subject of this fight was a little more harsh, but I'm sure we'll both get over it like always.

*

I had dozed off on the couch, but woke up to the sound of a loud clank. There beside the door was three suitcases, a big duffle bag and a smaller one. I raised an eyebrow as Leila threw another bag down the step. My bag to be exact. I spun my head towards the steps that she was now walking down. "What are you doing?"

"Leaving." she said simply, making her way to the door.

"With my $300 European leather bag? I think not."

"I am. You can buy another one with that good ole whore money you making." I furrowed my eyebrows at her and opened my mouth, but quickly closed it again. I didn't know what to say honestly. Speechless. I was left speechless. She just referred to a job she nonetheless encouraged me to do as 'making whore money'? I just sat amazed by her words. It wasn't processing to me that she had actually said that, that this girl before me was my best friend. But talking like that, was she really my friend?

I feel like it's the stress of being pregnant and dealing with an abusive man who isn't your boyfriend and might not be your child's father. "You're not leaving Leila. With my bag or not. Forget it."

"I'm a grown ass woman Ashleigh. You ain't my momma nor my daddy." There was a horn outside and she opened the door. "Bye."

"Wait." I stood up walking to where she was.

"I'm not staying here, so save it."

"No, listen. You can be a grown ass woman, and I know I'm not neither one of your parents. But understand this, I'm only trying to help you. I can't stop you, as much as I wish I could, I can't because you're right. You're grown as fuck and there's nothing I can make a grown person do against their will. But when that nigga beat your grown ass, just remember that I tried to help you. You can leave now." I walked back to the couch. "And take the bag because you're right again. My whore money can buy me three more if I really want 'em." I sat down and stared at her and she stared at me. She had a blank expression on her face, but her eyes told it all. The light glaze on them let me know she was hurt. I didn't want to hurt her or be mean, I just wanted to help her. I can't control her though. there's only so much I can do and being there for her was my last resort as of now. I'm always going to be here. I might not be calling her everyday or spending time with her because she has her head so far up Skilla's ass, but as soon as she needs me and comes to realization that she's really not in love with that boy but in love with the idea of being in love, I'll be there.

When I heard the cab pull off, I went up to my room and stripped out of my clothes, throwing them down on the floor and plainly crawling into bed. I did something I wasn't expecting to do. I cried. The things I said to Leila might have hurt me more than they hurt her. Not the actual words, but how everything transpired and came out. It was honestly the biggest blowout we've ever had. I cried silently in my bed, thinking about how this situation had gotten this bad all in a time span of an hour.

*

I felt a slight breeze underneath my covers, causing me to flip on my side. When my bed dipped beside me, I shot my eyes open and snapped my body in the direction of the person that was now laying beside me. I nearly punched Shannon in the face, but went for his chest when I realized it was him. He was laying there with a smile on his face like something was funny and cute. I was scared. I almost peed on myself and he wants to sit here showing his gorgeous smile and smooth, bright, brown skin. I ended up smiling and laughing a little myself just looking at him. "I don't like you." I rolled my eyes.

"That's because you love me." He smirked. "Why didn't you lock your door baby?" He pulled me into him and I snuggled into his chest.

"I forgot to after what happened..." I sighed.

"What happened exactly?" He placed one of his hands on the small of my back and rubbed in a circular motion while the other hand stroked my hair gently. I could feel myself falling back into a peaceful sleep, but Shannon still wanted to talk. "Ash?"

"Hm?"

"Tell me what happened please."

"A lot. Leila moved out." I wanted to leave it at that. I know how Shannon feels about a guy who puts his hands on women like that. Like if she's coming at you and you smack her or just rough her up a little, it's not that big of a deal but you're dog beating her, Shannon will blow. I feel the same way. I would love to tell Shannon about his little friend, but I don't want him to do anything to jeopardize his life or career.

"Where she staying? With Skill?" I just nodded with my eyes still shut. I just wanted to sleep with his arms wrapped around me. "Oh. Why you ain't got no clothes on?" He stopped rubbing my back and gently palmed my butt. I rolled my eyes, lids still shut.

"You ask a lot of questions little boy. Plus, I should be asking you why you're all half naked in my bed." I rubbed my hand over his bare chest and along the line of his boxer briefs. "You must be staying." I stated more than asked.

"Yeah, I am." He leaned down and pecked my lips before wrapping me tight in his arms. "Go to sleep. Goodnight."

"Goodnight love." I yawned and turned so my back was facing his front. I moved closer into him and started to get more comfortable. Shannon was out before I was, his light snores were indication. I fell back into a sound sleep not far behind him.

💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕

So, short I know. But I tried to get you guys something as fast as I could. I hate promising or telling you guys one thing and then not delivering, but between work and school I'm never guaranteed the free time that I think I will have. Anyways, let me know what you all think. I'll update again as soon as I possibly can.

Vote, Comment, and Fan please!