Chapter Twenty Seven

Ashleigh.

The day of the video release party had come around faster than I thought it would. It would be here in L.A at one of the most prestigious lounge bars, Platinum Entry. They only allowed the best of the best in and were what Cortez and Shannon envisioned as the perfect spot. They had gathered the most important people to see the video tonight. It would be released to the public Monday through BET's 106 & Park and available for sale on iTunes.

I sat in the salon chair, head leaned back and eyes closed. I wasn't getting anything major done to my hair, but it was definitely in need of a deep condition and hot oil treatment. I let the beautician work her magic while I simply relaxed as I had been doing all day. To start my day off, I woke up early and catered myself to a massage followed by a mani-pedi. Getting my hair tamed was the last check on my list.

Forty minutes later I was walking out of the hair salon. I had my hair pressed straight and split directly down the middle. I hopped into the rental and made my way back home. Arriving home close to twenty minutes later, I was beyond relieved. The crazy LA traffic had turned my less than ten minutes drive into an exaggerated twenty minutes one. I parked and made my way to the door. Using the key I unlocked the door and walked in. I kicked my sandals off and sighed once the soft carpet hit my feet. The air that blasted through the house made the carpet feel a little cool against the bottom of my feet which was even more relaxing.

I maneuvered my way through the living room to the kitchen. I wasn't really hungry, but I hadn't ate much if at all today. I grabbed a bottle of water and a granola bar then headed towards our room. In our room I found Shannon comfortably laid out across the bed. He was laying on his back, eyes closed and smile on his face. His phone was to his ear, so I knew he was in the middle of a phone conversation. Not wanting to interrupt him I quietly made my way to the closet. I sat my snack on the short dresser in the closet and stripped out of my lounge pants and tank top leaving me in just my comfortable boy shorts and sports bra. I used the hair tie on my wrist to pull my hair into a high up ponytail.

I reentered the bedroom area where Shannon was still engaged in his conversation. He was talking in a low, slow tone where I couldn't make out what he was saying. I cleared my throat so that he could acknowledge me. His eyes popped open and his smile vanished. He stared at me before ending his phone call quickly. I squinted my eyes, not knowing how to take his gesture. He stood fast from the bed, making his way to me. Shannon scooped me up by the legs and held me to him, my legs around his hips."Hey baby, when did you get back? I missed you." He spoke all at once, kissing my face before I could answer him. I pushed his face away and slid down his body until my feet hit the ground.

"Stop." I laughed, pushing him away as he still tried to kiss my face.

"Why can't I love on you?"

"You're being weird..." I shrugged and walked around him. "Who was that on the phone?" At first I didn't really care, but his odd behavior had me curious.

"Just business..." He spoke slow like he was trying to convince himself.

"Mmm," I looked at him over my shoulder and continued my venture to the bathroom. "Okay... I'm going to take a bath." He nodded in response and went back to his phone that sat face down on the bed. I shook my head in confusion, deciding not to press the situation that had just happened. His behavior had been odd a lot often and my better judgement was beginning to get the best of me... I couldn't quite put a finger on what was happening, but something between us was not the same anymore.

*

I watched as Shannon pulled his silver chain over his head. It lay flat against his all black shirt and gave off a blinding shine. I smiled as he caught me staring. I couldn't help myself, he was a gorgeous man. He sat down on the bed beside me and playfully nudged his shoulder against mine. "Dang, what you looking at?" He smiled before slipping his foot into his 'Aunt Pearl' Kd's and lacing them up.