chapter 10

We nearly ran down the hallway and into the open filming area to see Lucy. My eyes frantically darted everywhere in search of her, my heart feeling as if it were to explode from my chest. We slowed down to the group surrounded in a circle near the director.  

It was bad enough I had to pretend meet Lucy in front of Kellin but now in front of the entire band and crew members? Maybe it would be best to pretend to get suddenly ill and run to the bathroom.

"Guys!" Kellin called, waving over so the circle broke up.

Sure enough, there was Lucy with a wide set of flashing white pearls beaming our way. She left the group and closed the space between her and Kellin, being swept up in a hug as she threw her head back in a laugh. As he placed her back on the ground, I watched in pain as he delicately grabbed her face and placed longing kisses on her lips. She smiled in satisfaction as they pulled away from the awkwardly long embrace, Kellin firmly taking hold of her hand before motioning towards me.

"Lucy, this is my friend, Mandy. We met at a show one night and she's just become a real close bud,"

I faked a wide smile and gave a slight wave. Lucy instead went for the dramatics and squirmed, leaving Kellin to tackle me in a hug suffocating hug.

"Oh my god, Mandy, it is so nice to finally meet you," She giggled, "I've heard so much about you,"

"All good things, I hope," I said in monotone, glaring at Kellin then at the band who were all trying to hold back laughs. They obviously found this ridiculousness amusing.

"This is going to be great," She whispered lowly, giving me one more tight squeeze before pulling away to go back to Kellin.

"Alright, we need to pack up and start the filming outside," The director butted in, finally, "It's going to be at a secluded forest preserve, sectioned off just for the video. We have two vans outside so everyone hurry up and get in so we can get started ASAP,"

I sighed and walked over to Justin, being pulled into a protective hug as we strolled towards the parking lot.

"So, she seems fun," I whispered, watching in perhaps jealousy at Kellin and Lucy walking together in front of us. Justin stifled a laugh, shaking his head momentarily.

"She drives me fucking insane," He admitted, guiding us to a black van before pushing me to sit next to him in the back.

The ride to the field where the majority of the video would be filmed was filled with nothing but pure awkward silence. I pursed my lips and fiddled with my phone, trying to consume my time with a random game all the while stealing glances at Kellin and Lucy. She was cuddled up against him as he whispered sweet nothings into her ear.

Was everything he had mentioned to me about their rocky relationship just a lie for sympathy purpose? From the looks of it, they seemed perfect together. Justin nudged me and I looked up as he began fake forcing himself to vomit. I stifled a laugh to which both Kellin and Lucy turned around to see what was happening.

I stopped and sat straight, covering my mouth as Justin uncomfortably coughed and pointed at me. I swatted his hand as he then pretended to cry in pain.

"So weird," Kellin laughed as we finally arrived at the location.

Surprisingly, trailers were already set up with crew bustling everywhere. Before I knew it, Lucy and the band were being pushed to their respective trailers for final touch ups. I sighed and trudged through the set up, marveling silently at the clearing that sported all their instruments. Lights were being checked  and cameras hauled through, people with giant snaking chords shouting and running about.