chapter 17

You know when there's a sudden absence in your life and for the time being you can't think about anything other than it? Yet after a while the dwelling grows fainter with each passing second and the hole in your heart turns into a distant memory. And all you feel is a sort of numbness - trying to remember the way the pain felt but unable to. Only knowing it happened.

That's what his absence turned into.

A whole month without any contact and soon enough it becomes another part of yourself. The grieving has turned into reflection and now I've come to the resolution that it's time to move on with my life.

My eyes flicked over the information on the screen, double checking everything before processing it. 

There were some kinks within this plan but with time it would figure itself out. It was for the best.

***

Justin's POV

I scratched the back of my neck, running out of ways for Kellin to listen to me.

His funk he had been in for a month's time now was putting a damper on the band. People were more stressed than usual and that wasn't good considering tour was about to start.

"I just think you should call her," I spoke lightly, "give her a chance to explain herself,"

He didn't look at me when I spoke, instead went through his phone aimlessly with no reaction on his face. I sighed and took a seat next to him, pulling my phone out. I saw his eyes peer over as I opened my video files and cursed upward to much older ones. Upon finding the video I wanted, at least to start with, I handed it to him.

"For my sake, please watch these. I think it'll clear some things up,"

Getting up, I walked out of the room to give him time.

***

“I’m so glad you decided to come visit,” My older sister, Alex beamed while pulling me into a tight hug. She followed up by grabbing my things, upon my protests, and helping me inside.

I felt relatively happy, realizing it had been almost two years since I last came to visit her in Arizona. And right now, this was probably the next best time to visit. After placing my things in the spare bedroom, she made us both coffee and urged me to sit next to her.

“So, how are you feeling?” She asked with slight concern. Recently I had been calling her more and had spent five hours on the phone the first time explaining the situation from the very beginning. Aside from Ashley and partially Justin, Alex knew every little thing that had happened between Kellin and I.

“I’m okay, much better now that I’m here for the time being,” I grinned, “Luckily, Ashley agreed to pick up my mail and keep the apartment tidy while I’m away,”

Alex nodded and took a small sip, giving me an encouraging smile, “I figured today, if you’re up for it, we go on a small hike? I know this great spot that me and some friends like to go to, it has some beautiful views,”

“Totally,” I answered enthusiastically, having missed the adventuring Alex and I would do when we were younger.

Trailing up the path with Alex, it was a new feeling of ease that was ever welcome. The fresh air that filled my lungs gave me another sense of encouragement to embrace the change planned ahead of my life. Even if that same chest felt weaker than before.

We hiked up higher till we could see expansively on all sides. The mountains looked rustic and naturally beautiful as the water below was in itself inviting. Alex perched and studied the look with a small smile as I fished for my phone, wanting to remember this first day back with my sister.