Chapter 18.

Chapter 18

“Ouch.”

“Quit complaining.”

“Quit stepping on my feet jerk!” I snapped turning my body around to face him.

A mischievous smirk was plastered on his silly face as he surrendered his arms. “I swear, it was an accident!”

“Accident my ass,” I muttered angrily rubbing the back of my feet which were left naked as the heels didn't cover it. We had just finally managed to escape from the horrendous dinner with the devil and Mr Jerk Face thought it would be “romantic” to go on a freaking evening stroll around the streets of Texas. Yeah, perhaps it would have been bloody romantic if we were actually dating for heaven's sake.

“Bad language, kids in present,” Aiden scolded mockingly indicating to a little girl on the sidewalk who happened to be looking at me. Sending the mother an apologetic smile, I winked at the cute doll. An instantaneous smile lifted her face.

“Hey,”I spoke ignoring the constant pain from my heels.

The girl looked up at her smiling mother almost as if she was asking her permission for something. When gaining an encouraging nod from her mum, she smiled at me and spoke.

“Hi.”

Suddenly I had the urge to “awww” desperately. She was the most adorable child I had ever come across. Her light blond curly hair tumbled down her shoulders, resting messily on her hips. People killed to have hair like hers. By simple looking at her, I could tell that she was going to be a major problem for her father in her teen years. Poor father would probably have to fight boys off his daughter every five minutes.

“Are you two married?” she spoke shyly.

A warm blush flourished across my pale cheeks. I could feel the warmth taking over my entire face and gently reaching my neck.

“Freya baby, you can't ask questions like that to strangers!” her mother scolded the child.

“But-but mummy, you said I could speak to the pretty lady, so she's not a stranger now!” replied the girl a pool of fresh tears gathering in her eyes.

“I think that's a very smart question,” Aiden jumped in giving the little girl his signature smile. Even my own heart skipped a beat at seeing it upon his face, imagine how the mother felt.

“You do?” Freya suddenly spoke gleefully.

“Of course I do, you are a very smart little girl, aren't you?” he winked at her bending down so he could reach her eye level.

“I am?” Freya wondered confused.

“You only just met us and already you know we're married, that's a very good assumption.”