Chapter 36 - Memories of Our Broken Past

'I can't believe I lost to Obi in an archery tournament! He's going to rub it in my face for months.'

I fold my arms and trudge through the hallways, the marble flooring makes a loud noise in contact with my heel. I snort, in realisation of my thoughts. 'I sound just like Hideki.'

"Hey, Yui." I turn my head, my freshly washed hair whipping my face by this movement. Shocked, I let out a small scream and jump when I see Hideki standing there. He grips his sword and looks down at me. "Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you." He chuckles.

I freeze for a couple of moments and then wave my hands about. "Don't apologise, p-please!"

We exit the hallway to the small west garden, where we sit on a bench. A comforting silence surrounds us for awhile, which finally breaks when I try to sneak a glance at him, and him doing the exact same thing at same time. Our gazes meet and we stare at each other, before I look away nervously.

"Yui?" Hideki asks and I look at him once more.

"What's wrong?" I ask, and a summer breeze brushes through his red hair. He looked like a prince from a Fairy Tale.

"How old are you?" He asks.

I pause for a moment, wondering as to why he asked that question, but try to muster up an answer. "I don't really know."

"You don't know?" He asks, and I nod.

"I've never really celebrated my birthday, and since I'm in the Central Wing you can't classify me with any groups- I guess the South Wing now." I continue rambling on but he listens intently to every word.

"...probably eighteen, since you're twenty no-"

I was interrupted by him placing a hand on my cheek, his forehead pressed against mine.

My face heat up and transformed into a bright red. "W-what are you doing?" I stutter in a confused tone, my throat becoming incredibly dry. "Hideki, are you alrigh-"

Hideki groaned, and pulled away, my heart racing on an uncontrollable level. A red liquid appeared on the side of his head, it wasn't blood- wait.

I looked in the corner of my eye to see a brunette with a tomato in his hand. He dropped the item and glared at the red-head with disgust, but I could tell he was trying to hold back laughter. His eyes were reflecting mixed emotions. I silently thanked him for doing that, turning back to Hideki. "What the hell was that for?!" He shouted.

"It's alright, it's not like anyone will notice." He smirked. "Your hair is the exact same colour!~"

My blush began to fade as I watched the boys bicker, rolling my eyes. Hideki stood up and grabbed Obi's collar. "Do you have a death wish, cat?"

Obi's eyes reflected how much he loathed the man in front of him. "Death's looking at you, not me."

"I've done it before, I can just cheat death."

Obi simpered, a glint in his eye, smashing another tomato in the back of  Hideki's head and then rubbing it into his hair. "You can't cheat death when you're digging your own grave."