✦ chapter 3 ✦

Why is the sun so bright?

I groan and turn to stuff my face into my pillow. I had barely gotten any sleep last night. My mind was on one thing and one thing only.

Noah.

I don't know why, but he is. My mind was a traitorous thing. I groan and get up. Thankfully, I had finished my periods. I go through my morning routine which consists of making my bed, having a shower and brushing my teeth. I go in search of my parents. They're downstairs, with mum in the kitchen making tea and dad watching tv. My dad was very reserved while my mum was bubbly. They were like complete opposites, but I guess opposites attract.

"Good morning!" I greet.

"Morning."

"Good morning."

I grab a box of cereal and milk. I take a seat and munch on my cereal.

"So, what's your plans for today?" My mum asks.

"I'm going to go visit Toby and then afterwards I have to go to work." I say, finishing off my cereal.

If you haven't figured out yet, Sofie lives in a one story house with Toby and her husband, Mark. I work at this small diner only 10 minutes away.

My mum nods and exits the room to answer a call. I had already gotten dressed so I just put my shoes on and grab my phone. With that, I head out and drive to Sofie's.

"Where's my little nephew?" I ask as soon as Mark opens the door.

He rolls his eyes. "He doesn't want to see you."

"And how would you know that?" I ask, crossing my arms.

"Call it fathers intuition." He says with a smug smile.

I snort. "Toby loves me." I say and push Mark out of the way. Me and Mark always fight like this. It's just how it's always been but I love Mark as if he were my brother. Which he is, well brother in law, but no need to get technical.

I walk into the kitchen and find Sofie breastfeeding Toby.

I grimace. I did not like seeing my sisters boobs. I quickly look away. "Jeez, Sofie. Couldn't you breastfeed him in your room or something?"

She gives me a quick glance and says, "this is my house and besides, how was I supposed to know that someone was coming. It's not like you call." She says.

I nod my head and shrug. It was true, I never call to tell them I was coming. This was like a second home and I couldn't really be bothered to call. I walk over to the cupboard, avoiding Sofie, and look for my all time favourite.

Oreos.

I find a box and quickly open it. I bite into one and just enjoy the taste of it.

"You do know that that is not your food, right?" Mark says from behind me. I turn around to face him. "It is now."

He gives me a glare and then makes himself a cup of coffee. When Sofie is done with breastfeeding, she takes Toby upstairs and puts him in his crib because he had fallen asleep. I frown.

Aw, I don't get to play with Toby.

I plop onto a chair and put another Oreo into my mouth.

-----

I was at Duncan's Diner, working my 3-8 pm shift. I had 2 hours left and then I could go back home to my welcoming blankets. I had been working here since I had finished high school. I didn't know what I wanted to do after and I still don't. I didn't really need a job, but it kept me busy and I could use the extra cash. The diner wasn't that busy today and we only had three staff, including myself. There was the owner of the place and chef, Duncan. Hence the name Duncan's Diner. He is a big guy, with a big gut. He was bald and was somewhere in his forties. The other staff was Morgan, the barista. He was a slim guy, with brown hair and hazel eyes. He was around 25, I think. He was nice to me, but we didn't really socialise outside of the diner. And lastly me, the waitress.

I look up when the bell that's attached to the door rings. In walking in was Noah and he wasn't alone. He had a blonde attached to his arm. She was wearing a very short mini skirt with a tank top that had a plunging neck line. I felt exposed just by looking at her. They walk over to a booth but instead of sitting in front of each other, they sat next to each other. Noah was sitting next to the wall with the blonde at the exit of the booth. I don't even think I could fit a paper in between them. She was touching his arm flirtatiously and was whispering things in his ear. It was obvious that she was just a fling to him by the way he didn't pay much attention to her.

"So, are you going to take their order or are you going to just stare at them?" Morgan asks. And that's when I get an idea.

I was going to mess with him. He had woken me up and I know he bought me ice-cream to pay up for it, but still. I'm sure it would be fun

I smirk and grab a notebook and a pen. I walk over to them with a massive smile.

"Pookey bear, you're here. I didn't know you were coming. I-" I touch his arm and by now, he's looking at me as if I were insane. "- missed you." I pout and then look at the blonde. She looked furious. I pretend to notice her for the first time.

"Oh hey! You must be his sister." I say, playing dumb and I give her a bright smile. Although, I know that he doesn't have any siblings.

"No, I am not his sister. Who are you?" She says through gritted teeth.

I give her a big smile. "I'm Noah's girlfriend."

She screeches and stands up. She gets a glass of water from another table and flings the water at Noah. I make sure to step back so the water doesn't hit me. I put a hand over my mouth to stop myself from laughing. Blonde stomps out of the diner and I couldn't hold it in any longer. I double over laughing, not caring who saw. I was aware of Noah who was giving me a big glare, but I didn't care.

His face was absolutely hilarious!

I sober up when I hear Noah clear his throat. I stand up straighter but still had a smirk on my face. I look around and find everyone staring at us.

"Alright guys! There's nothing to see here." I say waving my arms arounds. "Anymore." I add with a smug smile directed Noah's way. He glares and everyone turns back to their meals.

Noah suddenly smirks. "Aw, were you jealous Lauren? If you just wanted a piece of this-" he gestures to his body. "-you could of just asked. I didn't know you wanted me so bad that you had to scare the other girls away."

I was gobsmacked. Who did he think he was?!

"That is not what happened and you know it." I state firmly, glaring at him.

"It's okay. I know I'm smoking hot and irresistible. It's not you fault." He says with a smug smile.

I shake my head, mocking disapproval. "Didn't your mother ever tell you to never lie."

He looks taken aback but quickly recovers. "My mother raised me very well, thank you very much."

I roll my eyes and my eyes land on the spilt water on the floor.

I'll have to clean that up.

I look back up at him and we just stare at each other, neither knowing what to say. After a minute, he clears his throat and smirks. "I will get you back, Lauren." With that he leaves without looking back.

I'm in real sh*t now.

~*~*~*~*~

Hey beautiful people!

How are you all doing? How's this chapter? Was it bad? Was it good? Was it somewhere in between?
Sorry for the late update. Busy with school and tests.

Have a great day/night wherever you are. ♡

- a_lama