✦ chapter 15 ✦

Noah's POV

"Are you even listening?" Lauren asks over the phone.

"Of course I am. It's just that I'm still getting used to being 21. It messes with my head, ya know?" I joke as I put on my uniform for the diner, putting the phone on speaker.

"You can't use that excuse anymore. You've been 21 for two weeks now." She says in a duh tone.

I chuckle as I tie my shoe laces. "It's a good excuse." I defend. I could just picture her rolling her eyes.

"Whatever. Anyway, I have to go. Have fun at work. Bye!" She says.

"Bye." With that she hangs up and I turn my phone off, putting it in my back pocket, along with my wallet. I enter the kitchen and find grandpa in the kitchen. Mum and grandma decided to have a mother daughter day, so they went out.

"Morning, grandpa." I greet.

"Morning." He replies in his gruff voice. Grandpa doesn't speak a lot, that's just how he is.

"Bark!"

I turn my head to find Riley. He enters the kitchen and trots over to me. He happily runs around me and through my legs. I chuckle and bend down to pat him. I scratch him behind the ear and his tongue hangs out. I play with him for a minute before refilling his food and water bowls. Riley takes a drink of water and I grab a granola bar.

I head outside to my car, saying by to grandpa and Riley. I had work at the diner in an hour, but I wanted to buy a dog leash for Riley from the mall. I drive to the mall which was quieter than usual because it was Wednesday and most people work during this time. I find a parking spot and make my way to the pet store. I walk over to where all the pet accessories are and look through the dog leashes. There was a red one, a blue one with clouds, a green one, a rainbow one and even bright pink one.

"Can I help you?" A familiar voice says from behind me.

Where have I heard that voice from?

I scrunch up my eyebrows in confusion and turn around. I freeze when I do. There standing in front of me is Kevin Lee. He used to be my best friend in my old school. The school where I got bullied. Although, that all changed when the whole situation happened. He had stopped talking to me and wouldn't even look at me. I stare in shock with my mouth agape, his expression similar to mine.

I can't believe it's him.

Kevin looked the exact same from the last time I saw him. The same jet black hair. The same dark brown eyes that looked like the were black. The same sharp nose. The only difference was that he looked a bit older. A bit.

He recovers faster than me and he stands up straighter, clearing his throat. "How can I help you?" He asks in a monotone voice.

So he's going to act like he doesn't even know me.

My expression quickly turns into a scowl. "You're just going to act like you don't know me?" I spit out.

Kevin looks taken aback before he gives me an apologetic and guilty look. "I'm sorry, man. Can we just forget about everything?"

I furiously shake my head. "No, we can't just forget about everything. I thought we were supposed to be friends. You left me! You left me when I needed someone the most." I say, trying not to yell. I was outraged.

He wants me to forget? Forget?!

Kevin looks down, not meeting my eyes. I shake my head. "I could never forget, man. Never." I say and storm out, not even buying anything.

I furiously stomp to my car and get the keys out of my back pocket. I unlock it and get in. I reach out to my seatbelt and pull it. I pull it once again when it doesn't budge.

F*cking hell!

I pull and pull until I finally get it to move and I fasten my seatbelt.

Finally!

-----

I wipe a table and set it up again. Putting the menus on there and some napkins. I feel a hand on my shoulder and I snap my head to my right. It's Tanya.

"What the hell do you want?" I say with a scowl.

Her face falls before she gives me a fake smile. "I was just wondering if you are alright." She says.

I roll my eyes and swat her hand away, standing upright. "Like you care." I spit out and walk away.

Unlike Lauren. Lauren would care.

I mentally sigh at my thoughts. My feelings for Lauren has only grown. I still can't believe I like her. It's not like she'll ever like me. Why would anyone like me?

I snap back into reality when I hear Duncan's voice and the bell on the door ring. I look at Duncan and I see him looking at the door. I follow his line of sight to find Amber.

And I thought this day couldn't get any worse.

Amber catches my gaze and smirks. In return, I glare.

What is she even doing here?

My eyes widen and I clench my fists at the words I hear next.

"Everyone, please meet your new waitress. Amber."

~*~*~*~*~

I haven't updated in such a long time. I'm so sorry about that. And it's really short, sorry about that too. Hopefully you liked it.
Have a great day/night wherever you are. ♡

- a_lama