✦ chapter 30 ✦

Noah's POV

Today was the day after Christmas, Boxing Day. After Kevin and I had become friends again, Amber had disappeared. I was glad that we were friends again. I feel bad for hating him for so long when he didn't want to hurt me. I was currently at work and hoping that Amber would be here today. Yesterday, I had completely forgotten to tell her to give my mums job back. I know she was the one who got my mum fired and we had all payed for it. Yesterday, we didn't have extravagant food for Christmas. We didn't have much decorations either. I could tell mum noticed as well. I hear the bell ring and my head shoots up. I sigh when I see it's not Amber. Instead though, it was Lauren. She spots me behind the cash register and makes her way to me.

"Hey. You alright?" She asks.

I nod and force a smile onto my face. Right now, I only wanted to get Amber to give mum her job back. "I'm fine." I answer simply.

She shakes her head. "You aren't." She states bluntly. I sigh, rubbing my face. "Tell me what's wrong." She pushes.

"I need to find Amber." I say.

She gives me a disgusted look. "Why would you want to find her?"

"My mum lost her job and I am absolutely certain it was her fault." I explain. I had no reason not to tell Lauren. I trusted her completely.

Her faces shows shock and her eyes widen. She shakes her head and says, "they just keep coming, don't they?" Although it sounded more like she was talking to herself.

I raise an eyebrow in confusion. "What keeps coming?" I ask.

"Reasons why I hate her." She says, giving me a blank look.

I chuckle when my phone rings. It was my mum and I answer it with the usual, "hello?"

"Noah!" Mum squeals.

I grimace and take the phone away from my ear. When I'm sure she has quieten down, I put the phone back to my ear. "What is going on?" I ask.

"I got my job back!" She says, excitement laced into her tone.

For the first time today, a genuine smile is placed onto my face. "Really?" I ask.

"Yes, really! We should celebrate. I'm going to take you and your grandparents out to dinner." She says.

"Don't do that. You can treat yourself with something." I say.

"Nonsense." She says and pauses before continuing. "Anyway, I have to go. Gotta organise everything. Bye!" She hangs up before I can say anything else. I take the phone away from my ear and just stare at it.

What just happened?

"Looks like good news." Lauren says. I look up at and give her a sheepish smile. Forgot she was there.

"Good news indeed. Mum just got her job back." I say.

She nods, and then stares at the counter in thought. "So that must mean that tree sap told your mums boss to give her job back or something." She says.

I nod in agreement. "You're probably right." I say and then add, "you still call Amber, tree sap?"

She shrugs. "Well, yeah." She says in a duh tone.

I shake my head and chuckle. She's so cute. "Anyway, what time do you finish?" She asks, drumming her fingers on the counter.

I check my watch. "In a half hour." I say.

She nods in thought. "I'll be back and then we can do something." She says with a grin.

I quirk an eyebrow. "Do something? Like what?" I ask in curiosity.