✦ chapter 13 ✦

Noah's POV

I wake up to the sun shining in my face. I turn onto my back and smile.

It's my birthday.

I turn over to grab my phone and check to see if there is any messages from my friends. I frown when I see none.

They didn't forget, right?

I jump out of bed and proceed to do my daily routine. I enter the kitchen, in search of my mum. I find her on her phone. "Morning, mum." I say.

She looks up, startled. She puts her hand on her chest. "Jeez, Noah. You scared me." She says. I chuckle and she walks over to give me a hug. She plants a kiss on my cheek and says, "happy birthday, hon."

At least someone remembers.

I smile. "Thanks, mum."

Beep! She gets a text message and she checks her phone. She angles her phone away from me and I frown in confusion.

Is she hiding something?

She sends a quick reply and looks up to give me an apologetic smile. "I have to go. I'll see soon. Bye, love you." With that she gives me another quick kiss on the cheek and rushes out of the room. Before she can leave though, she says, "your grandparents aren't here either. They had to go somewhere." She exits through the front door, before I can even get a word out. My frown only depends.

So much for a birthday.

I shake my head and sigh. I grab a cereal box and some milk. I put the two together in a bowl and eat, frown still intact. As I finish, my phone rings. I check the caller ID to find that it's Lauren. A smile takes over my face.

Surely Lauren remembers.

I answer it and say the usual, "hello?"

"Hey, Noah! Want to go to Devine Coffee?" She asks.

My smile instantly falls. So she didn't remember.

"Uh- sure." I say.

"Great. I'll come and pick you up in 10. Bye." With that she hangs up.

Lauren's POV

I was at Devine Coffee with Noah and we've been here for half an hour and we'll leave soon. The group and I had decided to make it seem like we forgot his birthday. It's easier this way. Less questions.

Katherine had just texted me that they were done with the finishing touches.

We had involved Katherine and Noah's grandparents. Thankfully, Katherine is fine with having a dog in the house. She helped with inviting people who Noah is close to. Noah's grandparents had helped with the food and decorations. I was chosen as the person who would keep Noah busy. Don't ask me why, because I don't know either.

I could tell Noah was upset but I tried acting like I didn't notice. I have been taking care of Noah's little pug these past few days, but right now he was with everyone else at the party.

"So, you ready?" I ask nonchalantly. He nods and we head out.

"So where are you taking me?" He asks in the car.