✦ chapter 7 ✦

Today was the 30th of September. The day we were celebrating the anniversary of 20 years of Natalie being pushed out of her mothers vagina. Also known as her 20th birthday. She was doing a barbecue with her friends and family. After all, we do live in Australia. It wasn't going to be one where we all get drunk, it was going to be like a get together. There is going to be kids there. It starts at 1 in the afternoon, but I had work today and finished at 1:30. I'll probably be an hour late, but at least I'll be there.

I am just about to leave to go to work, but I want to call Natalie. It rings two times before she answers.

"Hello?"

"Happy birthday!" I scream into the phone with a smile.

"Oh my gosh, Lauren! Are you trying to make me deaf?" She screeches.

I chuckle. "Yes, that was my intention. Anyway, I'll be at your barbecue, but I'll be late. I have work."

"Okay, that's fine. But make sure that you do show up." She says in a serious tone.

"Of course I will. I have to go and don't have too much fun while I'm not there."

"Oh trust me, by the time you get there, we will all be funned out." She says in a matter of fact tone.

I roll my eyes. "First of all, funned is not a word. And second of all, you know there is no fun till I get there." I say with a smirk, although I know she can't see it.

I could just see her rolling her eyes. "Bye." She says and hangs up.

I shake my head and chuckle. I put my phone into my bag with my other things and head to work.

-----

I had finished work and was getting ready. It was getting warmer since it was now finally Spring in Australia. I decide to wear a grey shirt with a checkered button up over it. I wear dark blue jeans and light brown shoes. I straighten my hair and leave it out and put on some accessories. 

After I had finished, I check the time on my phone.

2:03

I didn't take too long.

I grab my purse and stuff my things inside it before leaving the house, making sure to lock the door behind me. Mine, Jennifer's, Abigail's and Natalie's families are close so they will be there too and my family has already left. I drive my way to Natalie's house. It was a nice one story house with 3 bedrooms. Natalie doesn't have any siblings but has a lot of cousins. They will be here too. I've met some of them before. The barbecue was being held in the backyard so I make my way through the back gate which was open. Abigail had Natalie's gift with her and we were going to give it to her together.

When I walk through the gate, I'm met by the smell of cooking meat and the sound of squealing children. Natalie's cousins were running around, chasing after each other. The backyard was a normal backyard. And when I mean normal, I mean normal.

That's right all you Wattpad readers who don't live in Australia. We Australians have normal backyards. We don't have crocodiles living in it and it is not filled with bushes. There isn't kangaroos jumping around everywhere either. So please, get that thought out of your heads.

Anyway, back to the normal backyard.

The backyard is pretty big with a patio that had the grill placed on the right side of it. Next to it, there is a large area of green grass with tables and chairs. Mr Reynolds (AKA Natalie's dad) is working on the grill, cooking the meat. There were streamers and balloons hung up and there is a banner with the words 'HAPPY 20th BIRTHDAY' on it in colourful bold writing. There is a table that is filled with many snacks and lollies and a radio playing music. The current song was Perfect Strangers by Jonas Blue ft JP Cooper.