✦ chapter 6 ✦

||A/N: the song I had added is one of my favs. I just thought I would share it to you guys. Plus, I think it's a perfect song for part of this chapter.||

"Mum, I'm off to work." I say as I make my way to the living room.

Mum looks up from watching the news. Dad was working. He was a lawyer and definitely a good one. "Lauren, you're watching Toby this afternoon, right? Sofie wanted me to ask." Mum says.

I nod my head. "Yeah, I'm still looking after him. I'll probably leave around 6ish to go to their house." She nods her head and says, "okay. Have fun at work. Bye." I give her a small wave in return and I'm out in no time.

I park my car in a nearby parking lot and walk into the diner. The store was currently closed but the door was opened for the workers. Me and the staff that was working in the morning would open and set up the diner. It was now 6:30 and the diner opened at 7. Tanya was at the counter, fixing up the cash register.

"Hey, Tanya." I say. Tanya had the full package. She had the big boobs. Big ass. Killer curves. Great face. I'm surprised she isn't a model. Despite this, she was nice to me, but I wouldn't say we were friends.

Tanya looks up and smiles. "Hey! How you doing?" She asks.

I smile and make my way over to her. "I'm doing okay. You?"

"Same. Did you hear?" She says with enthusiasm.

I raise my eyebrows. "Hear what?" I say, confusion evident in my voice.

She squeals. Like legit fricking squealed. I stop myself from grimacing. "We have a new waiter. And let me tell-" she starts fanning herself. "-he is super hot. And he's starting today!" She says, a big smile on her face.

I try to be just as enthusiastic but I know I've failed miserably. I couldn't help it. I just wasn't that excited in meeting a 'super hot' person. "Yay! That's great." I say with a tight smile. Before Tanya can say anything else, Duncan comes out of the back room.

"Hey, can you help me set up the tables?" He asks. I nod and Tanya continues with doing whatever with the cash register. I quickly put all my belongings in the back room and start setting up the tables. I set up the napkins and cutlery on the table when I hear the bell. I don't turn around, thinking it was either Morgan or Talon the baristas.

"Ah, it's the new waiter." Duncan says.

Let's just see how hot this guy is.

I turn around and find the last person I thought I would see.

Noah.

He smiles at Duncan and Tanya. He hasn't seen me yet since I was at the corner tables. I make my way towards them and Noah finally sees me. His smile widens and I cross my arms.

"New waiter, huh?" I say with my eyebrows raised. I honestly don't know how I feel about this. He nods and crosses his arms. "Got a problem with that?" He asks with a raised eyebrow.

I frown. Why would he think that?

Noah's POV

She slowly shake her head. "No, it's just that I didn't know."

I knew I was overreacting and that I was getting defensive, but I couldn't help it. If I told her why I got a job, she would just give me looks of sympathy and I don't want that. I'm sick of all the sympathy. Or she'll do something worse. She will take advantage of it and manipulate me. It's not like that hasn't happened before. I'll just avoid her. I can't let her get close to me.