✦ chapter 5 ✦

Noah's POV

I walk downstairs in search of some food. I had just woken up and it was 9:30. I shake my head as I remember my failed attempt to prank Lauren.

I can't believe she didn't fall for it.

I find my mum on the dining table with a bunch of papers. She looked really stressed with her hair in a bun that was coming loose and a frown on her face. I walk closer without making any sound and read the papers off her shoulders.

It was all the bills.

Sh*t. I need to get a job. I'll look for one today.

I walk into the kitchen and grab some leftover pizza from the fridge. I warm it up just as mum comes in.

"Hey mum. Do you have work today?" I ask. I wasn't going to mention the bills or tell her that I was going to get a job.

"No, I don't actually. Want to do something? Your grandparents went to one of their old friends house for a visit." She says making herself some coffee.

I look down. "Sorry mum. I'm busy today. Maybe some other time." I felt bad as I say it but I had to get a job ASAP. My mums face instantly falls and I feel like a d*ck. She nods and gives me a sad smile. "Some other time then."

Mum barely ever has a day off and I loved hanging around with my mum. Today though, I can't. I eat my pizza and say goodbye to my mum.

Let the hunt begin.

-----

I've been looking for a job for hours. No one would give me a job, especially with my lack of experience. I've even tried McDonalds. McDonalds for Christ's sake! They didn't give me a job because they had enough staff. I walk on a pathway, going into different shops until I spot a diner. Duncan's Diner to be exact.

Worth a shot.

I walk in with the bell ringing above me. I look around the diner. It was quite busy. I walk over to the counter, ignoring the shouts of protests from the people waiting in line. The girl working at the cash register looked up at me with an irritated look, but it quickly turns into a smile when she sees me. I smirk. She looked to be about my age, maybe younger. Her name tag read Tanya.

I smile. "Hey, Tanya. I was wondering if I could get a job here."

"I-uh, I'll see- I'll see what I can do." She says and walks into the back room. I turn to face the angry line of customers.

"I'm sorry guys. She'll be back." I say and smile. The girls swoon and the guys glare but the line silences.

"So what's this about a job?"

I turn around and find a big man. And by big man, I meant a big man with a big but. He was bald and looked around 40. I smile at him. "I was wondering if you had a job open for me." He nods and leads me into the back room. I wink at Tanya on the way and she blushes. I walk in to find a table and a couple of chairs. The man takes a seat on the chair behind the table and he motions for me to sit down.

"I'm Duncan. The owner of this Diner." He introduces himself.

"I'm Noah. Noah Parks." I extend my arm and he shakes it.

"About the job. I have a spot open for a waiter. Are you interested?" Duncan asks.

Waiter? It'll have to do.

I nod my head. "That should be okay." Duncan smiles. "Well then you've got the job. You start tomorrow."

My eyebrows rise. "Really? You don't want to know anything else about me?"