✦ epilogue ✦

Lauren's POV

"3, 2, 1, Happy New Year!" Everyone cheers.

I was among the many who were cheering along with everyone I care about. Our group of friends brought their family to Jacob's house. Unfortunately, Jacob's parents couldn't make it. They had this work party that they had to attend.

I'm engulfed by strong arms and I knew it was Noah. I return the hug, wrapping my arms around his torso. "Happy new year." I say, letting go.

"Happy new year to you too." He says with a wink. He then loosely wraps his arms around my waist and brings his face close to my ear. "You know, couples usually give each other a kiss right now." He whispers. I lean my head back to look at him. "You want a kiss?" I ask him, raising my eyebrows. He grins and nods enthusiastically. I lean in and he does the same, but just as our lips were about to meet, I turn my head so he kisses my cheek. He leans his head back and gives me a confused look. I just grin. "You have to earn it." I whisper in his ear before skipping away.

Before, I had wondered if things would be weird or different between us. But turns out, it wasn't. It felt natural. It felt right.

I make my way to the kitchen where I know mum is. I find her with Katherine and they each had a glass of wine. I think it's safe to say that they've become quite good friends. "Happy New Year." I say, walking up to them.

"Happy new year." Katherine says enthusiastically with a grin.

Mum puts her glass on the counter and wraps her arms around me in a bone crushing hug. "Happy new year, sweetie." Mum says, letting go. "Shouldn't you be with Noah?" She asks. I just shrug. Mum shakes her head. "I'm still getting used to the fact that you and Noah are together." She says. I chuckle as Katherine gives me a hug too. She then let's go and stands beside mum. "But we all know that it was going to happen sooner or later." Katherine says, her grin never leaving her face.

I just shake my head. "Yeah yeah."

-----

It was the morning following New Years so it was still New Year's Day. I go in search of my parents. As usual, they sat in the stools behind the kitchen counter.

"Morning." I greet them.

"Morning." Dad grunts.

"Good morning, dear." Mum says, awfully cheery.

I pause and stop to look at mum. She was definitely cheery, but not this cheery. "What's going on?" I ask suspiciously. Mum giggles like a teenager and hands me a piece of paper that was rolled up. I open it up to find:

Good morning, beautiful
Where I see you most and where food is the reason
I'll see you soon
- Noah

I look at my mum skeptically. "Is this like a scavenger hunt or something?" I ask.

She grins and mysteriously says, "go where it takes you."

I look down in thought. Where I see you most and where food is the reason. Where food is the reason? I think it over for a second before the answer pops up. The diner.

"I guess I'm off then." I say to my parents.

"Have fun." Mum says.