✦ chapter 16 ✦

Noah's POV

I furiously watch as all the other staff members greet Amber with a smile and accepts her with open arms. Little did they know that she's an evil thing. She turns her attention back to me and grins. She sashays my way and stops in front of me. She puts her hand on my arm and I scowl. I swat her hand away and she smirks.

"Miss me?" She says in her sickly sweet voice.

I knew she wouldn't just leave me alone.

"What are you doing here?" I ask her through gritted teeth.

"I'm here for a job." She responds.

I roll my eyes. "We both know you don't need a job." I say and it's true. Her father is a millionaire. She was his only daughter. He is the founder of Pear. The very successful company that made computers, phones, etc. I don't even know why she even bothered to go to a public school.

||A/N: Pear. Get it? Ya know, Apple. 😂||

She innocently shrugs and walks away.

-----

Clang!

I look up to find that Amber had dropped the tray filled food. Again. She looks down at the mess she made and looks up at me innocently.

"Whoops." She says with a fake sheepish smile. "Can you please help me clean this up, Noah?" She asks.

I go to object but Duncan interrupts me. "Noah, go clean it up."

Why did he even hire her?

I stop myself from releasing a frustrated groan and walk over. I clean the mess with a cloth and some paper towels, but not before giving Amber a deadly glare. She just smirks and walks away. I take the tray back to the kitchen and turn to leave when Duncan calls me. I turn around to face him. He walks up to me with an apologetic look.

"Noah, I noticed that you aren't exactly getting along with Amber-" big understatement "- and I can't have that in my diner. I need my staff members to work together, as a team. Now I don't know what's going on with you and Amber, but you need to get along or I'll have no choice but to fire you." He says.

My mouth hangs open and my eyes widen. "What?" I couldn't let that happen. I could not be fired. The money that I've been making has been helping out a lot. Mum doesn't have to work as often and she seems happier. She's not tired all the time anymore. At first she refused the money, but I eventually convinced her to take the it.

Duncan pats my shoulder sympathetically. "I'm sorry, son. So what will it be? Are you staying or not?" He asks.

I sigh. "I'm staying."

Duncan smiles and nods. He then walks away and I'm left standing by myself.

-----

Amber's POV (the day before)

I wait in my new Maserati for the old man to get out of his stupid diner. I watch him through the glass windows as he walks out of the back room, keys in hand. He gives the diner a once over before exiting the diner. I immediately get out of my car, not bothering to lock it.

Besides, I could buy another one if it gets stolen.

I walk over to him, hearing my heels click on the pavement. The old man turns in my direction and gives me a questioning look. I grin in response.

"Can I help you?" He asks once I'm in front of him.

"I want a job." I state.

He turns to me fully and raises an eyebrow. "And why would I give you a job?"

I put my manicured hand into my new Jimmy Choo purse. I take out an envelope and hand it to him. He cautiously takes it and opens it. Inside was $1000. He gasps and stares at the money for a second before shaking his head. I raise my eyebrows as he hands the money back to me.

"I don't know who you are, but I don't do that type of stuff. My diner is not going to be corrupt. I don't know who you are, but I am not giving you a job." He says with determination.

I chuckle bitterly. Honestly, I was surprised that the old man didn't accept the money. "I am Amber Tallum. My father is Dean Tallum." I say confidently.

His eyes go wide, but he shakes his head in denial. "Anyone can claim to be his daughter."

I smirk. I take out my ID and show it to him. He studies it for a while before looking at me once again. "Just because you're Amber Tallum, doesn't mean I'll give you a job."

The old man knows who I am and yet he still won't give me a job. What is wrong with him?

I cross my arms. "I could ruin your life in a second. Your little diner could be gone-" I click my fingers. "- just like that." I watch in satisfaction as his face shows shock, anger and my personal favourite, fear.

"You wouldn't." He says in disbelief.

I smirk. "Oh, I would."

-----

Noah's POV (present day)

I finally finished my shift and head to my car, careful not to go anywhere near Amber. I make it to my car and unlock it. As I go to open the door, I hear my name being called out and the sound of heels clicking. Already knowing who it is, I turn around, a scowl on my face.

"I don't know what game you're playing, but stop. Stay away from me." I say through gritted teeth. With that I open my car door and get in, but not before hearing Amber say, "paybacks a b*tch."

I drive home with Amber's words in my mind. The thing is, I haven't done anything to her. It's the other way around. To this day, I never knew why she did what she did.

Paybacks a b*tch.

~*~*~*~*~

Another update! Yay! Sorry for the shortness of it though. Let me know what you think of this chapter. If you have any complaints, please let me know.
I just want to dedicate this chapter to my friends manny_payne and Aribug232 . It's both of their birthdays today so HAPPY BIRTHDAY beautiful people! Hope you both have an amazing day.
Have a great day/night wherever you are. ♡

- a_lama