Chapter 4

"Morning." Theon rubbed his eyes to see Tara across from him. This had been the fourth day that Theon had woken up across from Tara. Usually, she would hand him some bread in the morning but he knew that they were all out. They would be forced to leave soon. Yesterday, they had decided to let the horse free. They couldn't feed it anything and it made Tara nervous to have one of Ramsay's horses with them. At the very least, she kept the saddle, horse blanket, and bridle to maybe sell later. 

"How do you feel?" Tara asked, "Stronger? Because the sooner we get out of the North, the better."

"I definitely feel better." Theon took a bite of bread, "I don't know if I feel stronger."

"Well, I don't want to rush you of course." Tara said, "We could stay one more night. But we don't have any more to eat." Theon wished he was better. If he was, he probably would be able to hunt or fish for them both. Instead, he felt useless. 

"Could you be able to move tomorrow?" Tara asked.

"Yes. I'll be able." Theon said even though he wasn't entirely sure. Either way, they had to leave regardless of his state.

That's what made him nervous. 

~

Once the day had passed, Tara found herself back against the cave wall. Again, a small fire was between them. However, tonight was more cold than the others. Tara wouldn't admit it to Theon, but he had felt too weak herself to go get more firewood. She hadn't eaten in days. 

Theon watched Tara through the draining fire. He knew she wasn't as strong and again a wave of guilt rushed over him. He watched her pull herself into a tight ball as she shivered slightly from the cold. Yesterday Tara insisted that Theon have the horse blanket to keep warm instead of herself adding more to Theon's guilt. 

"Tara." He said.

She slowly opened her eyes to see what Theon had to say.

"If you will not eat the food, at the very least you shouldn't have to freeze all night." Theon scooted over slightly on his bed of grass and leaves and lifted the horse blanket inviting her to join him. 

Tara looked at him for a moment before she hesitantly stood up. She made her way over and sat down on the hay. It was a moment as she turned her back to him to sleep on her side. The blanket rested on top of her. She immediately felt warmer and safer. 

"Thank you."Her came to a close. 

Theon watched her for a moment and then did the same as her. He closed his eyes and drifted off to sleep.

--

Bodies were burning

Turning to a dark, black crisp

Two young farm boys within

Theon opened his eyes slowly. The cave was covered in complete darkness except for the pale moonlight coming in through the entrance to the cave. He looked down to see Tara nuzzled into his chest. Normally, he would've smiled but his dream was clouding his thoughts.

All Theon could think about was those farm boys crisped bodies. He could remember what they looked like so vividly. 

"Tara." Theon said quietly. He felt Tara stir a little as she moved slightly. Her eyes flickered open slowly. She was slightly embarrassed by the fact that she was sleeping so close to Theon but he snapped her out of her thoughts. 

"I killed two farm boys."

Tara was still a little sleepy as she looked up at him in confusion. She sat up slightly, "What are you talking about?" Her voice was full of concern.

"I never found the Stark boys." Theon stared at the rock ceiling above him, "I just killed two farm boys and burnt their bodies so no one would know."

Tara couldn't believe what he was saying. She didn't know what she was supposed to say to a confession like that. 

He started to feel tears drip down his cheeks. "I killed two innocent boys. And for what reason?" Theon started to break down. He started to sob silently as his body shook next to Tara. He didn't want to cry, but he couldn't stop it.

"Theon." Tara said softly. She pulled him into a hug as he sobbed on the rock floor. At first, Theon was cold to her embrace but soon he let himself rest his head into her arms. Soon enough, Tara's embrace calmed him down.

Tara pulled away slightly and placed her hand onto his face. She wiped away the cool tears with her thumb. Theon melted at the touch of her soft hands.

"At least you have the decency to know it was wrong." Tara said, "Most men kill and rape and they don't ever stop to think about how terrible it all is."

She paused for a moment and then looked right into his eyes, "Trust me Theon. I know many bad men. You aren't one."

Theon nodded. This time he pulled her close to him. Theon didn't how long they held each other, but he just hoped it would never end.