Chapter 13

Theon opened his eyes slightly. Tara and Theon were both sleeping on the bed. Theon was laying on his back and Tara was resting her head on his chest. Gray light was flushing in through the windows. It had to be very  early in the morning, Theon thought. Theon couldn't remember anything else and they must have fallen asleep in eachother's arms.

He brushed through Tara's brown hair, smiling as he looked down at her sleeping peacefully. He felt bad that he had to wake her up.

"Tara." He said softly. She stirred slightly.

"Tara. It's the morning." She opened her eyes and looked right up at Theon.

"I wish we never had to get up sometimes." Tara said.

Theon sat up and so did Tara.

"I-I just don't want them to come up and see us together." Theon said.

"I know."

--

Some time had passed. Theon would go along doing his work, serving Ramsay. If he did exactly what he was supposed to he would get to spend one night with Tara. That's what Ramsay had promised him at least. He never knew what to believe, but Ramsay was telling the truth. Instead of dragging Theon to the dog kennels, they let him go to Tara.

Theon walked into the whore house. This time he wasn't nearly as nervous. Again, Tara found him and pulled him into the room they were in before.

They immediately embraced each other once they closed the door.

"It's so great to see you." Tara said. They pulled away from each other.

"Ramsay says that if I do everything he asks, I'll get to see you every week." Theon said.

Tara smiled, "That's great." She brushed his unruly hair behind his ear.

"You don't look all that great." Tara frowned. Theon noticed how her face was still discolored from Ramsay's men beating her. She wasn't back to looking like herself either. 

"Can I cut your hair?" Tara asked timidly. Theon thought for a moment and then nodded. Theon sat down in the chair while Tara went off to the side and dug around for some scissors. She started to brush through his hair with her fingers.

"Are you alright Tara?" Theon asked breaking the silence.

"What are you getting at?" She asked as she trimmed his hair.

"I just hate that you have to work here." Theon said sadly, "That you have to be here."

"Don't fuss about me." Tara said, "I have had to do this job my whole life. I have gotten past that."

"I'm just- I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm sorry Tara." Theon said.

She nodded and just continued to cut his hair. She didn't know exactly what to say.

"It's not your fault." She said somberly. But Theon knew that was a lie.  

After some time, Tara put down the scissors. "There." Theon felt his hair to almost try to get a sense what his hair looked like. "You look handsome." Tara smiled at him and he smiled back.

"Can I ask you of something?" Tara said.

"What's that?"

"Can you... Can you teach me to read? I have always wanted to." Tara's eyes trailed to the ground.

"I don't know..."

"Please. You are highborn they surely taught you."

"I don't think Ramsay would like it." Theon said.

Tara looked to the ground. She loathed Ramsay but Theon was right. Ramsay always seemed to find out everything. 

"You're right. Sorry." Tara nodded. 

Theon could tell that Tara was miserable. She said not to worry about her, but he could always see how she really felt through her soft eyes. If teaching her to read would give her a glimpse of joy, maybe it would be worth it. 

The next week, Theon took it upon himself to bring books along with him. He had hidden them under his clothes. He immediately found Tara. A part of him was excited to see how she would react. 

Without saying anything, Theon pulled out the books from under his clothes. Tara let out a big smile. She went to him and wrapped him in a hug. For Theon, it felt good to see her smile. 

And that's what they did. Anytime they see each other Theon would teach Tara the alphabet, words, and read books to her. One time late at night, he taught her through the gate in the dog kennels writing in the dirt.

Theon would do all that Ramsay asked and then he would go and teach Tara. She got good pretty quickly.

Again tonight, Tara snuck across the yard with books and a candle to meet with Theon. She made her way to the last kennel and softly called to him. He stirred and sat up.

"I brought books this time." Tara leaned against the gate and so did Theon. She stared blankly at the covers.

"I'm not really sure what the books are though." Tara said.

"What does it say?" Theon asked her.

She started to mouth out the words. "A..." She put her finger on the words. "History?" She looked over at Theon to see if she was right. He nodded.

"A history- o- of the Nor..."

"What sound does th make?" Theon asked.

"Oh! North." She chuckled quietly and then looked up at Theon. He stared at something behind her. Then a guard picked her up.