Chapter 41

Theon clung to a log. It had kept him afloat all night. What felt to Theon as one of the longest nights of his life. Men from the ship threw a rope down and Theon put it around himself. He had never been so cold and wet in his life and they heaved him up out of the water and into the ship. He landed against the deck, his face to the wood.

He shook from the cold as he looked up at one of his men approaching him. "Your sister's dead?" He asked.

Theon took a moment to answer, "Euron has her."

The man stared down at Theon, "You saw him take her?" Theon nodded barely as his breath was still shaky.

"But you got away?" The man said. Theon knew he was onto him, "I couldn't save her. I tried." Theon knew it was lie as it passed through his lips. The man knew too.

"You wouldn't be here if you tried." He walked away. The crowd that had gathered all dispersed too, leaving Theon wet and cold on the deck. 

Theon laid there, still shaking. He knew this, right now, was what he deserved. He deserved a lot worse. 

--

Tara stood upon the stone walkway. She leaned against the wall looking out to the ocean. Seagulls called and dragons soared above. She still hadn't quite got used to the dragons. It was like learning a fairytale was true. Maybe the same could be for the white walkers and Night King,  she thought. 

"It seems you can find everyone outside." Tara knew it was the voice of Tyrion. He was walking down the steps toward her.

She turned to him, "What do you mean?"

"Everyone I've talked to has been outside," Tyrion explained, "Looking off into the distance."

"Nature is calming." Tara said back. He stood next to her looking off as well. 

"You're probably right." Tyrion said. 

There was a moment of silence between them as they both looked at the view in front of them. Tara didn't know what to say. She hadn't had a real conversation with Tyrion since she met him. 

"I have to ask," Tyrion broke the silence, "How long were you spying in the throne room?"

"I don't know if  I would call it spying if we're on the same side." Tara said back.

"Fair." Tyrion responded. He was a lot gentler when he was sober. He seemed to be sober more often lately. 

"I wanted to listen for news about Theon. And since I know what you're really asking, yes I heard that Jon wouldn't bend the knee and about the white walkers." Tara said. 

"You're a lot more clever than you lead on." Tyrion said with a slight smile. 

"I'm not nearly as clever as you, hand of the Queen." Tara said. She really meant it. She knew some about the Lannisters. Tyrion's clever reputation preceded him. 

"No, I'm not." Tyrion shook his head. He seemed slightly distraught, "I'm trying to find how I missed that they would be ambushed by Euron."

Tara paused for a moment. She wasn't quite sure what to say.

"Does it seem so obvious in hindsight?" Tyrion more asked himself than Tara.

"Everything is more obvious in hindsight." Tara said as she looked over at him. 

Tyrion let out a breath of slight amusement, "I guess you're right."

The sea winds filled the silence for a moment. Tara wanted to ask Tyrion something too. She was a bit nervous but she did it anyway. 

"Can I ask you a question now?" Tara asked. She didn't want to be forceful or rude. 

"I suppose."

"How did a Lannister end up supporting a Targaryen?" She asked, "It seems a bit backwards."

"It is." Tyrion nodded. He continued to explain to her all that had happened to him since Joffrey's death. It all led him here. Tara couldn't help but think about how strange life could be sometimes. One action could cause dramatic consequences later in the future. He did give her a shortened version. Tara knew there were some details he was leaving out. It was fair, he didn't know her that well yet. 

"Varys saved my life." Tyrion finished. He looked off at the sea almost perplexed for a moment. "Of all people."

"I think you might have saved your own a few times as well." Tara added. 

"Perhaps. I think I might just be a very lucky dwarf." Tyrion thought.

"Or very unlucky." Tara said. Tyrion gave a noise of slight amusement. He nodded. Tara was probably more right than he was. 

Tyrion started to walk away, "I hate to be rude but I must be finding the Queen now, but I want you to know," Tyrion paused and looked up at Tara, "I hope Theon is still alive. For your sake."

He seemed completely genuine. Tara was grateful he said that. She hoped he was alive too. 

"I hope you keep your cleverness. For all our sake." Tara gave him a small smile. He returned the favor before he walked up the steps.