~Chapter Four~

Don's (POV)

          I'm having a nice dreamless sleep, when something awakens me.

           Groaning lightly, I open my eyes, staring up at the white ceiling as I listen for what woke me from my blissful slumber.

           Nothing.

            I hate being a light sleeper. One time I even woke up because there was a moth stuck in the window.

           Let's just say it wasn't a good night for me.

            I sit up in bed, glancing over at Lucy in hopes that she was the one who woke me.

           Then I'd at least have someone I could blame besides a moth.

Only to see she's still sound asleep. Snores and all.

           So she didn't wake me.

            Looking over at the digital clock, I see it's 5:10 A.M.

           Great. Just great.

           I prepare to lay myself back down, when I hear a sudden thump from outside the room.

            Standing up, I quietly walk over towards the bedroom door, my hand grabbing the knob. I open the door, immediately pausing when I hear the door from across ours loudly open.

            Alex's bedroom door.

           Peeking around the door, I see him stumble out of his room, his hands over his ears as he frantically runs down the stairs.

           Alarmed, I walk over to the stairs, looking down. I hear the jingle of a door handle, then a door opens, shutting with a slam.

           I walk back over to our bed, gently waking Lucy up.

          "What's wrong?" She groggily asks, blinking rapidly as she looks around.

          "Alex." The only thing I need to say.

        Her face instantly changes from sleepy, to worried. Immediately she starts getting up, but I place a hand on her shoulder, stopping her.

"I'll take care of him." I reassure her, patting her shoulder.

        She looks like she's about to protest, but I interrupt her.

         "Have some breakfast ready."

         With that, I start walking out the door. Suddenly thinking of something, I look back at her.

           "I'll be outside."

           She gives me a questioning look, but doesn't ask as she continues to put her robe on.

           Walking down the stairs, I head towards the back door. Opening the wood door, I leave the outer screen door shut as I stand there.

          Staring out in the faint morning light, I see a shadowy figure sitting down beside the big oak tree.

            Opening the screen door, I make a quick note in my head to oil the hinges.

            As I start heading down the small hill towards Alex, I see he's sitting with his knees drawn up to his chest, arms wrapped tightly around them, head tucked in-between his knees.

             His shoulders noticeably tense as I approach.

             I stop a couple feet away from him. "So your an early person are ya, Alex?" I lightly joke, hoping it might help ease the tension that's floating in the air.