~Chapter Eight~

Alex's (POV)

           I first hear a small bang, then it's immediately followed by a long whistling sound.

           Everyone pauses what they're doing, looking up at the sky.

          There's a huge resounding BOOM as the first firework of the night explodes into millions of tiny lights.

           My heart stops.

           Everyone's cheering now, glad the fireworks have finally started.

           My breathing picks up, and I'm no longer aware of anything but the sky.

           How'd it get so dark all of a sudden?

          Guess it doesn't really matter now.

           The frisbee drops from my stiff hands like a bag of bricks, and I start to slowly back up, my eyes transfixed on the dark sky.

           My heart is beating a mile a minute, and I can feel sweat break out everywhere on my body.

           Three more small bangs resound, whistles, then three big BOOMS. One right after another.

           I hear a whimper. 

           A couple more bangs, whistles, and then they explode.

           I involuntarily flinch at each one.

             "Alex?"

            I snap my gaze down from the sky, only to see Lucy looking over at me with a highly concerned face.

         I don't answer her, my gaze frozen.

She walks closer to me. "Alex, what's wrong?" Her voice sounds muted in my ears, like someone's tied a bag around my head.

            I'm about to try forming some sort of answer, when there's the biggest firework yet.

BOOM!

            I forget about everything as an overwhelming panic takes over.

            Turning, I run.

             Somewhere in my frantic mind I must have rationalized that the best place to escape was the Brown's car.

             Because that's where I ended up.

            I stop beside it, trying to catch my breath.

Only I can't.

            There's a warm tingling in my chest, a tightness in my throat.

             And I can still hear all the fireworks!

              I slide down against the side of the car, curling up as I bring my shaking hands up to my ears.         

  Giant explosions echo throughout the whole building. Walls falling, glass shattering.

             People screaming out in terror.

            Too loud, it's too.....LOUD!

           Something touches me.

          People screaming.

          I lash out with my right arm, immediately feeling it connect with something hard.