~Chapter Twenty-Five~

Alex's (POV)
(Part One)

I lean my head against the glass window of the passenger seat in the truck, my heart feeling like its going to jump out of my chest its beating so fast.

  I'm currently on my way to my "doctors appointment," and I can't help but feel extra anxious about it.

I mean, Mrs. Jones originally was supposed to take me to this appointment. But she called yesterday, conforming my suspicion.

She wasn't going to make it.

Which now means Lucy gets to take me.

I feel sweat drip down the back of my neck, a tightness growing in my chest.

Which means she'll see my....scars.

I swallow, my throat going dry.

I'm telling them about my past later, but that doesn't mean I wanted anyone to see....them.

But I know it's unavoidable.

  I'm already nervous about later. Add what I'm about to do now and you get a overdrive in the nervous department.

  Sure, I trust Lucy. I would just prefer no one ever saw these.

Including myself. But that's sadly not possible.

I sit up straighter.

I'm going to deal with this calmly and in control. I'm not going to make more of a fool out of myself by having a nervous breakdown in front of them.

I take a deep breath.

I'll be fine, nothing's going to happen.

I relax my stiff muscles.

It's just Lucy and doctor Quinn.

Don't think about later right now. Just get through this part first, then move onto the second obstacle.

I glance at the clock on the dashboard.

1:00 P.M.

We'd already had lunch before we left the house, the atmosphere being extra quiet with everyone waiting for later. When I'm going to reveal my past.

Just as Mack had promised, he'd told them about me wanting to do this yesterday during our trip back to the house.

I move my gaze back to the window, my eyes catching the movement of my foot tapping the ground.

I instantly stop it.

I hadn't even noticed I'd been doing that.

Nervous habit.

That would also be the reason I'm currently biting my nails.

I pull my hand away from my mouth, tucking both of them under my thighs.

Didn't even notice I'd been doing that either.

Oh who am I kidding? I'm a complete mess.

I notice Lucy glance at me from the corner of her eye, silence stretching between us.

I look back outside. We're almost in town now, my appointment at one fifteen which means we'll be right on time.

I take a few more quiet deep breaths. Trying not to gain the attention of Lucy.

Ten minutes goes by in a blur, and before I know it, we're pulling into the parking lot.