~Chapter Thirty-Five~

Alex's (POV)

        Two hours.

        Two hours we've been dragging Mack through the corn. Tripping over roots and sometimes even going up to our knees in mud.

        Two long, painful hours.

        I take a breath, wincing as my stomach gives an uncomfortable stab of pain.

        Well what should I expect? I missed my last dose of medicine for the day, so now I'm paying for it.

        Mack trips again, making us fall into a kneeling position before I automatically pull him back up with Polly's assistants.

         And this doesn't exactly help much.

         Mack groans. "Is this day over yet?" He mumbles, his eyes fluttering half closed.

          Polly sighs, then gives him a firm whack on the shoulder. His eyes immediately flying back open.

         "Wha-" He looks around in surprise before they clear. "Oh yeah." He takes his right arm, swinging it out. "Onwards and upwards I always say." He babbles, his eyes drooping again.

          Polly rolls her eyes. "Mack, you don't get to fall asleep while we're dragging your sorry butt around." She huffs. "We're tired too." Her own eyes flutter a couple times. "And these nasty clothes don't help much either." She wrinkles her nose.

         I can agree on that.

         Now that the storm has blown away, the humid heat of summer hangs in the air. Our once soaking wet clothes now an uncomfortable dampness with the heat, stiff mud dry all over us.

         I frown, feeling the icky material drag across my skin at each step.

         Nope, not very comfortable.

        "Well I can't help that." Mack says. "But I am the one with the broken leg here." He whines.

         Yeah, I think everyone's at the end of their rope.

        "Just shut it, Mack!" Polly gasps out between breaths.

         But Mack stubbornly continues. "But it's tru-"

         "Shut it!" Polly snaps, her hard gaze turning to meet Mack's.

          We step out of the cornfield, into a small forest of trees.

          Made it.

          But Polly and Mack don't seem to notice since they seem to be stuck in a staring contest at the moment.

        And with each of them giving the other a murderous glare, I can see how they wouldn't notice.

        Mack opens his mouth to add more to their little conversation.

        The hair on the back of my neck suddenly stands on end.

         I tense up, stopping our walking.

        "That's not fai-" I swing my gaze over to Mack's, and he snaps his mouth shut at the sight of my face.

        He immediately starts looking around, his eyes widening.

        I scan the surroundings.

        Trees at our front and sides, cornfield at our backs.