~Chapter Twenty-Nine~

Mack's (POV)

      "It was on purpose."

        ........

       What?

       I stare at Alex in pure disbelief.

       He just returns it with his unblinking gaze, nothing to show he's not completely serious.

       I raise an eyebrow.

       Is he crazy?

       Why, and I mean WHY would anyone purposely make us crash on the ATV?

       That's just not logical.

       I cough, placing my hand over my mouth. "Alex, I know you were a spy and all. Bu-." I'm cut off as Alex suddenly speaks.

      "You don't believe me." He states, hurt showing clearly in his eyes before he manages to look away.

      Suddenly, I feel like I just did something very, very wrong.

      But how am I supposed to believe this? Like I said, I know he used to be a spy, but that doesn't mean he's right about everything. And maybe that's the reason he's thinking this way.

      Why he's making this unbelievable accusations.

      Why he's accusing someone here of doing it.

      But then again......that phone conversations that we partly listened to.

      Could it.....

       No.

       I mentally shake my head.

       Ben was probably just talking about some bet or something. I mean, we did only hear parts of it.

      It was just the wheel coming loose.

     Nothing more, nothing less.

      I lightly place my hand on Alex's shoulder, only to feel even more like an idiot when he slightly flinches at my touch.

      He turns his head back to me, the shield in his eyes back up.

      "Look, I'm sorry, Alex. But I can't just believe that." I say as sincerely as possible.

      Am I just supposed to believe this?

       Conflicted thoughts fill my head.

      Alex nods his head, almost like he was expecting me to say that.

      "Sorry." I say again. "There's no proof, and are you really trying to accuse one of the people here to be capable of doing that?" I shake my head. "I can't."

     Alex looks away. "It's fine." He quietly assures. "It's probably nothing anyway." He stands up, climbing down the tree the same way we came up.

    I sigh. Gathering myself, I follow him down.

     When Alex gets to the final limb, he leans down, getting a firm grip on it. Then without a moments hesitation, he lets his legs drop through the gap between two limbs, the rest of his body following.

     My eyes widen.

     He dangles four feet from the ground for a second, his hands still securely holding onto the branch.

     Then in one swift motion, he lets go, falling gracefully to the ground. He lands in a crouch, the impact of his fall making little to no noise.