~Chapter Eighteen~

Alex's (POV)

           It's now 4:45 P.M.

          Mack and I are in the process of spreading a tablecloth on each of the two picnic tables that are outback, Don over on the deck grilling burgers.

         Lucy had insisted we have a picnic today for supper, even inviting the farmhands to come join us.

         Frowning, I look up over at the hill where you can see the four buildings in the distance.

          Hopefully they don't bring the dogs.

          I see Mack look over at me, then up at the hill. "Don't worry, they aren't bringing them." Mack assures as if he could read my mind, looking back at me.

           I would've thought after this-mornings little fiasco, things would be a bit awkward between me and Mack.

           But it's not. Surprisingly, it actually seems like we're getting along better.

           I just continue smoothing down the corners of the tablecloth that keep blowing up because of the breeze.

           After Mack finishes with his, he sits on top of the table.

           I raise a brow at him in confusion.

           With a smirk, he gives me a answer. "It's to keep the wind from blowing the tablecloth off." Pausing, he looks around. "Also gives you an excuse to not help with anything else."

           I give a small, amused smile.

           Of course Mack would find a way to get out of extra work.

           "Mack! Get off your lazy bum and go help your Aunt." Don shouts without even looking over at us.

          Sighing, Mack hops off the table. "Come on." He mumbles out, heading for the door.

          Shaking my head, I follow him inside.

         Once we're in the kitchen, Mack asks Lucy what we can do to help.

        "You've already finished the tables?" She questions.

         Mack gives her a nod in affirmation.

         She raises a brow in amazement.

        "Well alright then, you two can start taking the side dishes out." She points over at the dining table, it's surface littered with bowls.

          Walking over to the table, we both grab a couple dishes before heading back towards the door.

          Setting the bowls on the picnic table, I look up when I hear a vehicle approaching.

          My mouth goes dry, sweat pooling down my back.

          It's the farmhands.

          Ben steps out of Jacks' truck, Mr. March having driven a separate vehicle.

          I feel myself relax when there's no sign of the dogs.

         They reach the back of the house, greeting Don before they get engrossed in a conversation with him.

          Ben looks over at us, his eyes lighting up.

         Walking over, he stops in front of us. "Lucy got y'all doing kitchen duty?" He asks with a smirk, looking over the tables.