~Chapter Thirteen~

Alex's (POV)

         "And this is where our farmhands live." Don explains.

          I glance out the front window, noticing that we're on a decent sized hill that's a good distance away from the big farm house, where those buildings are I saw last week when I arrived.

       Yawning, I check the clock on the cars dashboard.

12:40. P.M.

We've been all over the five-hundred acre land, Don showing me the fields, cows, and more fields.

         The big barn was probably the most interesting. Large round bales of hay stacked dangerously high, a variety of tractors, and even a couple ATV's spread around inside.

        But to be honest, I'm kinda glad this is the final stop. You can only look at so many acres of flat land before it gets boring.

          The four small square houses sit in a straight line. Three show obvious signs of use while the fourth looks empty.

         Yup, looking closer I see the three have their outside lights on.

         Wasting electricity.

        "Where are they?" Don mumbles to himself, impatiently checking his phone.

         He gets out, Mack following his lead.

         Yawning once again, I open the door, stepping out into the warm air.

         Those pills are already making me drowsy again.

          Don looks around with a puzzled expression on his face. "They should be here." He grumbles, scratching the back of his head. "It's lunchtime."

         "They're probably just late, Don." Mack deadpans, looking just as bored as I am.

           But I guess it was better to go outside then just mope around the house all morning.

             The sound of gravel crunching reaches my ears, and I turn around to face the way we'd come.

There's a small rusty looking black truck heading up the driveway, dust flying behind it.

          "Ah, there they are." Don says.

          Time to meet more people.

          Sweat drips down my back from both the heat and anxiety.

           The truck pulls into one of the three parking spot left, two people getting out. One tall, the other shorter.

             They walk up to us. "Boss, is Lucy not feeding you enough lunch it's to the point you gotta come steal some of ours?" The shorter one with a big smile jokes to Don.

             "Real funny." Don says, a small smirk on his lips. "Guys, I wanted to introduce you to our new family member that I told y'all about."

I feel a pang in my chest.

           Except I'm not really family.

           Don gestures towards the tall man. "Alex, this is Mr. Bill March." Then he gestures to the smaller man. "And this smarty pants here is Mr. Ben Finch." Don looks over at me. "Everyone, this is Alex Rider."   

             Mr. March looks to be about six foot six, lanky with long black hair. Dark green eyes quietly observe me, his features showing that he's probably in his late thirties.